Dead Pixel Policies

Zorrofox 22:16 01 Aug 05

Hi folks. I've recently been upgrading my system and I'm now at the stage where I want to upgrade the monitor. I'm using a 19" CRT (Hansol) at the moment and am pretty happy with it. However, now that I effectively have 2 pc's, I have to buy a new monitor.

It makes sense that I should get one of the new TFT's but after doing some research I'm worried about dead pixels.

Does anyone know of any online retailers who have a "no dead-pixel" returns policy? It would be ok if I could just walk into a shop and see the one I want but buying online doesn't seem to offer this luxury.

Any ideas anyone? And any suggestions on choice of 17" TFT?

I hope someone has a suggestion. If not, I might look for another big CRT. And my wife won't like that one bit. Lol.

harps1h 22:23 01 Aug 05

it depends on the manufacturer of the tft. i have a 19" AGNeovo and the policy is 3 dead pixels before replacement. remember a sub-pixel (red green or blue) does not count.

LastChip 22:32 01 Aug 05

I seem to remember a while back one manufacturer offering a "no dead pixel" policy, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

If you can find a manufacturer that offers this, you will almost certainly pay a premium for it, as manufacturing perfect TFT's is very difficult indeed. They would get a high percentage of scrap screens compared to defect free, although manufacturing is improving all the time.

Dead pixels in my view, are another aspect that is overstated in the computer world. Have you ever seen one? I can only describe it as a pin prick on the screen and to all intents and purposes, it is unlikely to have any bearing on your enjoyment of using the screen. The TFT I'm typing this post on, has two dead pixels and I can honestly say, that unless I scrutinise the screen for them, I don't even know they exist.

If I were you, I'd pick a screen that suits me and enjoy!

Simsy 06:44 02 Aug 05

that the "no dead pixels" policy company was CTX, but I think it may have applied to a specific model.

Apologoes if I'm wrong!

Regards,

Simsy

Zorrofox 07:29 02 Aug 05

Thanks for all the advice folks. Aria Computers offer a "Dead pixel check" for an extra £20. I think I'm going to go for that. I know Samsung offered a no-dead policy but as far as I can tell it only applies to their home market.

Again, thanks for the help.

Rigga 08:37 02 Aug 05

"However, now that I effectively have 2 pc's, I have to buy a new monitor."

Why not use a KVM switch, they are fairly cheap, and allow you to use one Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor with 2 or more PC's

I personally use this one > click here < but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Just a thought. HTH. R.

Zorrofox 16:21 03 Aug 05

A KVM switch would seem to be the answer. Thanks for that. I don't feel confident enough with TFT quality to splash out on one. A dead pixel would drive me up the wall! As far as I can see, monitors with dead pixels are not of "merchantable quality". Therefore I don't see why I should pay extra to have it checked.

Thanks for all the input folks.

george 16:27 21 Apr 06

Hi,

I have just bought a Philips 19" 190P5ES from PabsDirect via Ebay click here

link here for same item.
The monitor has three defective sub pixels meaning I have a bright "always on" white spot practically in the middle of the screen. Pabsdirect have refused to replace it as there is not enough or clusters of dead pixels to warrant a replacement.
I defy anyone to be annoyed about this as it is like a torch beam when viewing something dark or black.
Philips were going to replace the item but have since changed their minds (this might change again). The additional problem with Philips is that the monitors being sold by Pabsdirect are more than a year old - but are described as new.
Any advice of where to go next to have this resolved?
Cheers,
George.

961 18:55 21 Apr 06

One way round this problem is to buy from Argos. They have a 16 day return policy. If you CAREFULLY open the packaging and resist the temptation to take the protective transparent cover off the screen you can turn the monitor on and check for dead pixels. If there is one, return in "as new" condition for a refund

To be fair, they are much less of a problem than they used to be but I agree that I wouldn't want one

Argos may limit you to Acer and a couple of other makes but my Acer 19" is a star and was very reasonably priced

rmcqua 20:02 21 Apr 06

Just for interest, I have never heard of anyone with a Samsung monitor that had dead pixels when new (I'm sure there are some, but have never heard a single complaint).

Stuartli 20:09 21 Apr 06

Try these possibilities:

click here

click here

click here

Plenty of others of this type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5