DDR3 Dual Channel?

Joseph Kerr 15:02 12 Feb 10

Hi all.

I'm looking at a Dell machine and have had a quote for a machine with single channel DDR3 RAM. Dual channel is DDR3 is not an option on that machine.

Will that make much differene?

Why wont it work 16:28 12 Feb 10

I have little ultraportable laptop which only uses single channel DDR2- it seems to run okay. Apparently single channel can be a bit of a problem for integrated graphics. My Intel X3100 seems to run fine on single channel DDR2 533mhz (plays videos okay, Windows aero etc all work fine), so I expect that single channel DDR3 wouldn't see too much of a problem.

I only use the laptop for office/internet though, I expect it might harm performance if you have more demanding needs of your computer though- games, lots of encoding etc.

Joseph Kerr 16:30 12 Feb 10

no, my needs are basic - the OS will probably the most graphically intensive thing i run apart from youtube! and there would be a separate graphics card.

thanks for that.

GaT7 18:14 12 Feb 10

"Will that make much differene?"

Like Wwiw says, for your needs, no.

But that's a strange one. Can you post a link to this PC please? G

P.S. I remember your previous thread click here

Joseph Kerr 18:17 12 Feb 10

click here

I chose the cheapest Vostro then upgraded from there.

GaT7 18:30 12 Feb 10

Right, I can see why some are single-channel - they are PCs/configurations with a single RAM module, which is understandable. And if you choose upgrades with 2 or more RAM modules, you'll get dual-channel.

However, there are also some PCs there with single-channel no matter what RAM configuration one chooses! I'm sure this is a typo/error on their website.

As usual their graphics cards upgrades a way over-priced - a 1Gb GT240 for £160 extra(!?), when these cards are less than half that price in reality click here. G

Joseph Kerr 18:49 12 Feb 10

I'd just get the standard graphics card, it has the connections i need. I'd probably get 4gig of RAM in a 64bit system. I could go further but how much more can it take? And where do you draw teh line anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…