Data Protection - scam warning

Tenner 17:05 12 Feb 03

This is not a computer related matter, but it is ConsumerWatch when all is said and done ..... how many of our 85,000+ members are covered by the Data Protection Act and are licensed under same ?

Please read this click here and pass it on to your Controller/Company Accountant - my firm has just been caught in the scam, the letter was very official looking. The boss didn't check the wording and paid in a hurry - 'to catch the last post'- it can easily happen. We now have another bill - from the DP.

The irony is, how did the con men know our licence was due in the first place ?

Regards

rickf 17:20 12 Feb 03

This is a scam that is wide spraed. Colleagues in my profession which by its nature has to hold personal data were sent demands over a month ago. Luckily, people were not caught by it because they checked with the official agency first.Moral of the story is never to pay anything unless you have ascertained that it is the real thing. All it takes is a phone call.

Tenner 17:47 12 Feb 03

I said :

' ..... the letter was very official looking. The boss didn't check the wording and paid in a hurry - 'to catch the last post'- it can easily happen. '

' All it takes is a phone call.'

In a perfect World, I agree. It was intended as a warning, as folk have to renew at different times, letters will be received throughout the year.
At least it wasn't me ( this time )who had made the mistake

Regards

Sir Radfordin™ 18:41 12 Feb 03

There can be no excuse for this. Does you boss pay all demands for money that easily, if so please can I have the address and his name?

Any company should know what they are paying for and why they are paying it. It should also be clear who they are paying it to.

A scam this may be, but like all scams the only person who can be blamed is the person who didn't check what they were doing.

No doubt a lesson no-one wants to learn the hard way.

Forum Editor 18:50 12 Feb 03

has been running for quite a long time - over a year to my knowledge, and I believe that many companies have paid up without realising what they were doing.

It's easy to ridicule people who are caught, but I've seen the letter that these people use and it is indeed very convincing. To say that the only person who can be blamed is the victim is a tad blunt - the people to be blamed are those who carry out the fraud.

Stuartli 19:05 12 Feb 03

The fee under the DPA is £35 - these particular scams always ask for a much higher sum.

As the FE rightly says, it's being going for some time and the operators known to be involved have been named publically.

Sir Radfordin™ 19:25 12 Feb 03

Complience with the Data Protection Act should be taken seriously by any company that holds personal data.

This scam should not work because as Stuartli points out the company should know that the fee is £35.

This may just be seen as another piece of red tape by some people but I am keen to know what is happening to my personal data and would want to know that companies I deal with have correct procedures in place.

If the letter wasn't convincing it wouldn't be so good would it! I'm sure there are still people who would pay if it wasn't that convincing. They would be the same people who email everyone in their address book telling them to delete a teddy bear.

POLECAT2 19:32 12 Feb 03

You would'nt post on another forum under the name of Yoda by any chance would you? Only he is also never wrong.

rickf 21:58 12 Feb 03

I did not think I was being offensive, just sharing an experience as it were. If you thought I was taking the mickey, I apologise. As re Yoda, it was a joke. The sentence before that said that I was glad he was pleased.

The Regster 23:00 12 Feb 03

You may be interested to know that the website of the Data Protection Commissioner

click here

has a database containing all registered data controllers. The records for each user contain business addresses and licence expiration dates.

The government provides all the information a scamster needs for free. Now that is ironic

sandyb 23:05 12 Feb 03

Finding out that Notifications are due is quite simple. All you have to do is look at the on-line Register and do somesimple searches. The expiry date is given for each entry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…