Dabs.com lack of Christmas spirit

Ray-259171 14:08 08 Jan 03
  Ray-259171 14:08 08 Jan 03

Just before Xmas I bought an upgrade copy of Dreamweaver MX from Dabs.com. As it turns out my copy of Dreamweaver 4 is not upgradeable (source, Macromedia).

After the Xmas break I attempted to get a return number from Dabs only to be told that my return was out of date.

As a measure of "Good will" they extended the return period by three days to ten days - Guess what? The ten day period had also expired!

I now have a product which they refuse to accept back, either as a refund or as a credit.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

€dstow 14:12 08 Jan 03

Can you detail the actual dates involved as it does appear that there has been a lack of enthusiasm on your part in this by what you have offered so far.

€d

€dstow 14:21 08 Jan 03

From the Dreamweaver web site:

"What product versions are eligible for upgrade pricing?

Macromedia allows customers purchasing Tools products to take advantage of low upgrade prices when upgrading from the two previous releases of each product. Effective January 1, 2003, customers with versions older than the two previous releases of a product are no longer eligible for upgrade pricing when purchasing the current version.

For example, customers who want to upgrade from Dreamweaver 1 or 2 must buy full versions of Dreamweaver MX. Only Dreamweaver 3 and 4 are upgradeable to Dreamweaver MX.

Check the last para or is your DW4 somehow different?

€d

Ray-259171 17:17 08 Jan 03

It was ordered on the 17th dec - delivered on the 21st. I didn't open/attempt to use the product until after Xmas break, Jan 1st.

Below is a copy of the email from Dabs sent on Jan 7th:

"Hello,
Apologies as the Distance Selling Regulation states that we have to be
informed within 7 days if an item is unsuitable for a customer and we
have extended this as a good will gesture to 10 days. As you are outside
of this then we cannot accept the return on this occasion.

Regards

Lisa Carter

Dabs.com E-Mail Sales

Please visit click here for answers to all your questions"

1) What is the point of sending this, and extending the deadline after it has already passed?

2) What happens to people who buy Xmas gifts which are obviously not going to be wrapped unwrapped and returned in seven days?

3) Why doesn't it say IN BIG LETTERS you have only seven days to return this item if it proves to be no good?

I do understand "buyer beware", but I think Dabs are being a bit sharp here.

Incidentally, this purchase was made for a charity organisation, and we really could do without losing £175 on this.

Thanks

Mac & Beth 17:40 08 Jan 03

So how is your copy of Dreamweaver 4 different from other copies?

Owners of Dreamweaver 3 and 4 can upgrade to MX. Why not you??

Look at this

click here#

Dreamweaver 3 or 4 can be upgraded to Dreamweaver MX

What product versions are eligible for upgrade pricing?

Macromedia allows customers purchasing Tools products to take advantage of low upgrade prices when upgrading from the two previous releases of each product. Effective January 1, 2003, customers with versions older than the two previous releases of a product are no longer eligible for upgrade pricing when purchasing the current version.

For example, customers who want to upgrade from Dreamweaver 1 or 2 must buy full versions of Dreamweaver MX. Only Dreamweaver 3 and 4 are upgradeable to Dreamweaver MX.

Customers purchasing Server products may pay upgrade prices when upgrading from the two previous releases of each product only. Earlier versions are not eligible for upgrade pricing. This policy may vary by product.

€dstow 18:38 08 Jan 03

Exactly the same source of text as I used but, for some reason it has been ignored in the first reply.

I ask as you do: what's so special about Ray Hales copy?;-)))

€d

Taran 19:02 08 Jan 03

There are some cracked versions of Dreamweaver currently in use that reputedly respond poorly to attempts to upgrade them (good for Macromedia I say).

It is not for me to say that this is the case in point in this instance, but as has been outlined above, your version of Dreamweaver should be upgradeable.

Is it perhaps an educational license version ?

I have seen Dreamweaver 4 (CD ROM and downloaded full program bought from Macromedia online) running MX after using the upgrade on friends and client machines.

Based on available documentation from Macromedia and the results of upgrades that I've personally seen in action, I'm stumped here.

Taran

brianthesnail 19:07 08 Jan 03

I'm with dabs on this. The article was delivered in plenty of time for you to examine and then accept or reject it.

dabs can't be held accountable for your lassitude.

There is the other point as well brought up by two respondents that the software should be suitable for the end use that you bought it for. Where was your source at Macromedia that told you it wasn't suitable? If you can find that, you may have a claim because there is evidence, again from Macromedia, that it is suitable.

Brian

€dstow 09:23 09 Jan 03

You say in your reply that you attempted to use this software.

It is a policy amongst most or all software suppliers that they will not accept returns of software, under any circumstances, that has had the seals broken, unless that software is faulty.

To ascertain the suitability of the software for your end use is your responsibility. This should be done before you place an order. You say that the Macromedia web site states that it is not suitable but two respondents, including me, have seen on the same web site that it is suitable and both of us have quoted the relevant sections.

I am on the side of the consumer in difficulties with suppliers but here, I don't see that dabs have been anything other than reasonable in their procedures and responses.

€d

Mac & Beth 11:00 09 Jan 03

I was just about to add that point about the seals on software boxes.

So Ray?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now