Dabs.com charging before stock available?

doubleloop 13:57 31 Jul 05

Does anyone know if internet companies are allowed to charge for goods, even before they have them in stock?

I have bought goods from dabs.com but apparently there is now, not any in stock. They charged me two weeks ago and my order has been "packaged and in one of their vans" the next day. After waiting for the goods to arrive I emailed them. I have now been told the goods are not in stock and I should order replacement items.

Rubbish of dabs!

anchor 14:04 31 Jul 05

It seems to be common practice. I ordered a TomTom Go 700 from Comet on-line in June. No stock was available at that time, (I was awaiting the release of this new model). The money was taken from my credit card immediately.

Subsequently, I was able get get one before Comet received their stock, so cancelled my order. No problem; the credit was passed to my CC account that day.

Arnie 15:00 31 Jul 05

Novatech don't do this.

The following is extracted from their "Terms and conditions".

"Payment will not be taken from the Customers Credit/Debit card until all goods ordered are in stock ready for despatch. The contract will be deemed as active once payment has been received by the company".

There are many other companies who also adhere to this principle.

kinger 17:28 31 Jul 05

Some companies do but others don't.

If the service is quick enough it doesn't really matter but for 'out of stock' items, I would prefer if they didn't charge until they became available again.

spuds 20:22 31 Jul 05

There is no UK law preventing a supplier from debiting your debit or credit card account, on the day of ordering. Some suppliers do this to confirm that you have funds available, for the purchase that you have made.

I deal with many companies on a weekly basis, and all of them debit my account at the time of dispatch, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Rayuk 20:44 31 Jul 05

You dont say whether they have refunded you your money,if not and you order replacements wont they charge you again?

doubleloop 01:59 01 Aug 05

they wanted me to cancel the order and make a new one. the thing is i ordered a dvd player that they have now discontinued. i don't want another one!

have now asked them to cancel the order and bought everything from ebuyer. haven't bought from them before, they look ok though.

Thanks for your info people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…