Dabs.com

Southernboy 17:17 20 Nov 03

I have finally become so fed up with this totally unhelpful firm!

For some days I have been trying to establish whether they can supply a certain product which I cannot find in their website. I am continually fobbed off with standard replies that refer me to their website, which I have already searched.

This apart, I am on the point of buying an 80Gb Maxtor external hard drive, and had found this item on their site. However, I have read, today, of someone who purchased a similar item from them, which arrived faulty, and of their trials and tribulations in trying to get it replaced. There are other threads which refer to the despatch of used/refurbished items sold as new. All I want to do is to purchase a NEW item, which has not been damaged or previously used, and it would seem that Dabs is not the place to buy it from.

Can anyone suggest a RELIABLE supplier who actually offers something resembling customer service and can guarentee that goods they sell as new, actually are NEW?

PS. No local shops except PC World who don't stock it and won't order it. Any, PCW belong to DSG who are renowned for selling used goods as new, aren't they?

bremner 18:19 20 Nov 03

click here for one

agenoria 19:53 20 Nov 03

I have bought many items from Dabs and have never, ever experienced anything other than an excellent service.

Using the standard delivery, most items are received the next day - safely packaged and in A1 condition. All goods are brand new, unless sold as otherwise.

When I've needed to contact Dabs with any queries, they have always replied in a professional and courteous manner. Should I ever need to return anything, I feel confident in getting a replacement supplied without any fuss and bother.

I use Dabs as my main supplier, in preference to a number of so called trade suppliers who, in all fairness, struggle to meet the service that I have so far enjoyed with Dabs - and no, I do not have any connections with the company, other than being a genuinely happy customer.

Al94 11:50 21 Nov 03

you have been very lucky so far and have not had to return an item to them. Take it from me, it is a nightmare. Yes they deliver quickly but that's where it ends. I hope your luck continues!
Whilst not having used this company myself as yet, I have heard very good reports click here

Southernboy 12:57 21 Nov 03

there is no way that I am going to use Dabs again. It seems fairly clear that they DO ship returned goods out again. For example, the monitor I purchased earlier this year appears to have been pre-used. Other threads reveal that others have experienced the same thing.

But, above all, the obstructive and unhelpful attitude of the Customer Service department did it for me. I cannot believe how unhelpful they were. Puts me in mind of Mesh. They offer value for money, and also have many satisfied customers but, if you are unlucky enough to have a problem, the backup service leaves much to be desired. I simply do not want the hassle.

There is another thread running about the unfortunate experiences of someone who bought the Maxtor HD I want to buy, which was damaged. Knowing my luck, that same (damaged) HD would be sent to me!

I have checked the thread given above which leads to EBuyer. Anyone know anything adverse about them? Significantly, it appears to be the only Maxtor HD which does not have a users' review.

Southernboy 13:05 21 Nov 03

is Savastore.com.

Anyone know anything about this lot?

Arnie 13:15 21 Nov 03

Southernboy.

I have recently dealt with click here
This is a large company based in Portsmouth.
I purchased a motherboard bundle /ddr ram/cooler fan/cpu, computer case, graphics card and Seagate hard drive from them. The bundle was fully tested by them before dispatch and everything worked first time, with a little BIOS tweaking. BTW The Seagate drive was formatted, partitioned and the OS loaded automatically from Seagate's free software. This is worth looking into.
If ordering from their web site, the delivery charges are heavily subsidised.
They have a superb tracking service, a low call technical support line and an excellent navigable site. You can e-mail David Furby, their managing director, with any problems or suggestions you may have. How many large companies allow this?
I have just checked their site and find they have the following.

DiamondMax Plus9 80Gb 8Mb Cache ATA133 H.Drive.
£63.21p. inc. vat. (19 in stock).

A Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB 2Mb Cache. £53.13p. inc. vat. Delivery £3.99 inc. vat. (15 in stock).

Finally, I have no connection whatsoever with this company but I will certainly be dealing with them in the future.
Hope this has helped.

Arnie

The Idle one 13:18 21 Nov 03

I Personally will NOT use Maxtor drives.
Over 6 years I have had 8 HD failures - ALL Maxtor & just out of Warranty.
Still got a 10 year old Western Dig working

Southernboy 13:28 21 Nov 03

Thanks for the link to the Novatech site. They do not appear to have the Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm USB2 external hard drive listed.

Southernboy 13:32 21 Nov 03

Another spanner in the works!

Being a novice, I have taken considerable soundings on which external hard drive to buy. The concensus seemed to end up with LaCie and Maxtor, but with many more people supporting Maxtor.

Now, I have dragged my feet for many months whilst trying to decide which one to buy, and where to buy it from. I HAVE to make a decision soon. Unless anyone can guide me further on the choice of manufacturer, it seems it has to be Maxtor. Is there any real problem with this drive, or were you just unlucky?

Southernboy 13:39 21 Nov 03

I have done a search of this forum, and neither Dabs, nor Ebuyer, come out of it very well. Both seems to have their satisfied customers (who do not appear to have received damaged/faulty/used/wrong items) but those who have report a horrendous hassle to get things sorted out. All of this caused by Email only method of correspondence.

Whilst not wishing to pay the earth, I would willingly pay a little more to a supplier with a human face who would offer a decent service.

Any further thoughts.

By the way, in the Dabs Newsletter, the MD, Jonathan Wall, lists his Email address as [email protected]. Perhaps he might intervene in some of the cases listed in this forum?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017