Dabs and Return of Faulty Goods

Sebby 15:28 10 Dec 03

I bought a router from Dabs around a month or two ago, and to cut a long story short, it became faulty to the point where it could no longer be used. After contacting Dabs, they told me that I'd have to send it back to them so that they could send it on the manufacturer for repair under warranty, which could take 4-6 weeks.

Firstly, is this correct? Should they send me a replacement?

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I had to pay around £10 to have it collected from me. Am I entitled to this back, or is it my responsibility to have to return faulty goods?

Many thanks in advance.

fitfella29 16:11 10 Dec 03

i had to send a processor back which died on me and altho i had to pay 7 quid for them to collect it they sent me a new one back within 7 days.

if your router is beyond repair i dare say you`ll get a new one.

Stuartli 17:28 10 Dec 03

This is typical of dabs and some other online retailers - place an order and it's dealt with and delivered in exemplary fashion. But if things go wrong.....

You should not have to pay for any item to be returned if it is faulty.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer direct - most are very keen to maintain good customer relations and will pull out all the stops to help you.

Normally the faulty goods will be collected and replaced without further ado or cost to yourself.

It also lets manufacturers know which retailers are creating a bad image with regard to their product sales and that can only be good in the long run if the right steps are put in place.

Sebby 18:45 10 Dec 03

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm going to email Dabs, about the charge for collection and regarding having to wait for repair. What should I say? Is there any 'laws' I can quote? We all love our laws :-)

bfoc 18:57 10 Dec 03

Is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Goods must, among other things, be:
1. Free of faults.
2. Be reasonably durable.

The recent amendments, which came into force from April, make clear that if an item develops a fault within 6 months it is deemed that they fault existed at the point of sale unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Unless Dabs can prove otherwise they are in breach of both points.

You are entitled to redress under the act that will put you in the same position as if the item was not faulty.

You therefore do not have to pay for postage, nor should you have to wait for 4-6 weeks. Either Dabs provides a replacement within a reasonable time frame (5-10 days say) or you should make clear you will reject the item and demand a full refund.

ajm 19:19 10 Dec 03

What make was the router. if it is a Netgear, contact netgear directly and they will ship a replacement one out to you. Also some other manufacturer's will ship one out to you rather than having to send it to Dabs

Sebby 19:27 10 Dec 03

It was made by PTI (click here). It's a very cheap and cheerful router (although not so cheerful in this case). The company are in Taiwan so I couldn't find any UK contact details for them anyway :-(

bfoc 20:56 10 Dec 03

Of contacting the manufacturer directly.

Your contract is with Dabs, your legal remedies are with them and you should think carefully about moving away from that. It could make things more difficult in the long run.

On occasion it can be useful but should be clearly seen as in addition to what Dabs do, not instead of it!

Sebby 20:59 10 Dec 03

Thanks for your reply.

I have emailed Dabs now and I will see what they say.

Many thanks for the help everyone.

plsndrs3 21:42 10 Dec 03

click here

Because it has a PHONE number for Dabs [as rare as hen's teeth]. You might also be interested to know that the email sent to DABS @ about 12.33 on 20/11 advising them that I was not prepared to accept the faulty goods has not been replied to yet - almost 3 weeks later!

Just as well my friend managed to repair the Hard drive.

DABS? Never again.

Blitzer 23:18 10 Dec 03

Nothing to add to what has already been said other than I've too been biten by Dabs and their non-existent customer service - will never use them again and will quite happily pay more for the same goods elsewhere.

Dabs are generally good on price, have a wide range of stock and deliver promptly. Have a problem with something they sold you and you will just come up against a brick wall when trying to get the issue resolved. Buyer beware. :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…