Dabs do a Dixons with secondhand goods as new!

Well, its been some time since I last had cause to complain about Dabs and to be honest, a lot more orders have gone through faultlessly?..until this week.

I have just set up yet another wireless network and my problem was I had a ADSL modem Router that would then be connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. As both were on the same IP address they were causing conflicts and no signal was getting through ? a quick change of IP address and all was well, however, I decided that a new ADSL Ethernet modem was probably a better idea than using two routers with built in fire walls and so a ?brand new? (at least I thought so) D-Link 300G Ethernet modem was ordered.

Delivery was faultless installation caused problems!

The think was, however I tried I could not access the modem properties with the default passwords that should have been set on the router. As many will know, these passwords are set to something simple as ?user? for the username or ?Admin? for the password (not in the case of D-link or Linksys but for example only). However, eventually I got to the stage where I was inputting similar passwords in different order etc and bingo ? got into the modem.

I should have been alerted then but was not. However, when I next looked at the properties page I was astonished to find that there was another users details in there ? log in and email details showing beyond any doubt that the modem was decidedly second hand.

Two emails so for to Dabs unanswered. So much for their ?new? operations and website. (at the time of writing the site is down so point proved) I have no doubt at all that here begins a long haul as I unless I get an answer by Monday the modem goes back and we all know how long returns take with Dabs????..!

Stuartli 14:56 26 Oct 03

Four years ago I bought two idential monitors from dabs - on delivery one had clearly been out before and even had the return note in the carton in the name of a Cotswold computer conponents supplier.

I didn't bother with dabs, but contacted the monitor manufacturer direct.

It replaced the "secondhand" monitor by the following day, apologised profusely and assured me that it would be taking the matter up seriously with dabs.....:-)

Now thats food for thought.....Where is the email address of D-Link wonder????

Trouble is, Why did he return it??

rev.bem 17:45 26 Oct 03

Perfect - thank you!

Stuartli 22:45 26 Oct 03

Ironically, D-Link doesn't feature its NetEasy webcam and other products with the brand name on this site but at click here

Daft really...:-)

Just to round off this story -

The modem (secondhand) has turned out to be faulty. So, Dabs sell me not only a secondhand modem advertised, and purchased as New but a faulty second hand one to boot!

Thanks to the links above, I contacted D-Link Sales & Marketing Dept. and have had an excellent response -

As these Modems are so popular, there are very few around, Next Shipment into the UK is not due until the 24/11. However, D-Link have some stock that is not for distribution to retailers and are sending one out to me today.

Dabs? - As usual, no acknowledgement of emails, complaint or anything else.

When I first joined this forum nearly 4,000 visits ago, it was due to a complaint of Dabs. I suggested that Dabs stands for Diabolical absence of service and stand by that comment!

Alan Ryan 15:01 30 Oct 03

Reading the regular negative comments about Dabs
(published in this forum) I'm surprised anyone bothers ordering from them. The fact that they conceal their telephone number is enough to give cause for thought.
There's almost always a risk attached to buying goods as cheaply as possible.

spuds 19:26 30 Oct 03

Thanks for that but I have already tried!

Last Saturday I sent him an email (address may even have been from your link) but as of today no reply.

No, I will take matters into my own hands and simply state the facts as I find them to be to anyone who enquires of Dabs. One day they may learn that customer SERVICE means something regardless of how big they are.

I have, in the past had many problems with them but do go back to them if goods are not in stiock elsewhere (as in this particular case) or I need them next day (and I pay extra for it even though 9 times out of 10 it will arrive under 24 hours anyway). However, time and time again when I need SERVICE I dont get it.

I will simply inform the manufacturers of my problems and hope that they care more for their own reputation than Dabs does.

Siliconman 11:01 31 Oct 03

Sorry I usually do reply but for some reason your email as I said directly to you got tackled by my spam agent. It is not our policy to sell second hand goods and we have processes in place to stop this happening. However the Distance Selling Regulations allow customers now to return goods to us in 'as new' condition for a full refund which means we now have a process in place to put some returned goods back into new stock, as do the majority of Mail Order and Internet resellers do.

We do however have strict guidelines for this as the last thing we want to do is sell clearly second hand goods as new as it's illegal for one.

In this instance it would seemed our process has fallen down and we are currently looking into why.

Jonathan Wall
Marketing Director
dabs.com plc
[email protected]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…