DAB Radio under £40 (Mains & Battery)

Zak 14:30 04 Sep 05

Homebase are selling the Alba TRDAB2821 (wood/silver)for £39.99, £10 less than original price Argos/Amazon. I have not found any cheaper!

This model was out in June 05, possibly being discontinued?

features
2 x 1.5 watts RMS. DAB/FM PLL digital tuner with 8 station presets. Auto search tuning. 2 line dot matrix LCD display. Stereo speakers. Headphone socket. Mains operated or requires 6 x C batteries (not supplied). Size (H)14, (W)28, (D)10.5cm.

Just purchased one at my local store and I am very pleased.

pj123 17:40 04 Sep 05

What is the advantage of DAB Radio against my normal HiFi FM radio receiver or my Satellite Digital Radio receiver?

€dstowe 08:18 05 Sep 05

It means that the distortion you get from poor signal strength, electrical interference etc. is of a better quality.

I have been totally disappointed with DAB radio. The first one I bought was returned to the shop as I thought it was faulty. The replacement was just as bad - and this was when I lived in Central London. Even though I am now out in the styx, there is a transmitter quite close but there is little improvement.

I live in quite a large house but, wherever I place the DAB receiver it is prone to interference from the washing machine, dishwasher, freezer - anything with an electric motor, it seems. There is nothing wrong with my mains wiring - I've had it checked.

The DAB now sits in a cupboard unseen, unused and unloved.

wee eddie 08:33 05 Sep 05

As far as I can understand it the band width is too narrow and the compression too lossy.

FM without a decent aerial may have its problems, but with a proper aerial, fidelity of reproduction is not one of them.

DAB may be good enough for Coldplay but not for the Philharmonic.

€dstowe 09:45 05 Sep 05

Something I forgot - it's adversely affected by people moving around near to its aerial.

Aspman 13:42 05 Sep 05

Me collegue and I put money together to get a DAB radio for the office. We found the reception to be very clear with lots of channels though we stick to Virgin. It is a Proline from Comet which I got on a 'managers special' deal for £45 after a haggle. Been fine since Jan.

My folks have a Pure Evoke DAB radion which they are also delighted with. I'd never heard of reception problems before.

amonra 14:17 05 Sep 05

I am thinking of asking for one for Xmas and would like all the feedback I can get. What make/model/ shape/size is yours? And has anyone else got a goodun ? I believe you have to have a reasonable signal strength before reception is adequate. Thanks.

pj123 14:50 05 Sep 05

amonra,I don't have a DAB radio. I use my Multi Satellite System for all digital audio broadcasting. It is hooked up to my HiFi stero system and speakers (as opposed to the not very good analogue TV mono speaker). Probably defeating the object having a Digital Satellite System but watching/listening on an Analogue TV??

Stuartli 15:09 05 Sep 05

You might not be so keen on DAB if you read this information:

click here

tinyurl.com/bhczw

tinyurl.com/9m9zx

Freeview radio stations are often of superior transmission quality...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…