CUSTOMER SERVICE WHAT A JOKE

sopwith 07:37 13 Sep 03

a few weeks ago i bought a new monitor(turned out it was manufactured 3 years ago) sold as new unused boxed with warranty.
it broke down after a lot of e-mails with the manufacurer DAEWOO they agreed to replace it
wonderfull i thought. how wring could i have been.
the replacement turned up yesterday unboxed np power lead ,no manual and no stand,
it gets worse when i queeried this with the "courier" the reply i got was do you want jam as well.
imagine my delight when the "monitor hotline"
told me why i got this model....it was a 4year old
refurbished model
must be some mistake i thought contact DAEWOO
another e-mail there reply was our swap out policy is we replace your monitor with a monitor of similar spec we can not guarantee it is not a used model.
where do i go now other than trading standards or small claims.

Forum Editor 08:06 13 Sep 03

that the original monitor was manufactured three years prior to your purchase is not necessarily proof that there was anything untoward. Three years is a very long time for the manufacture to retail cycle however, and I think I might be uneasy if a monitor broke down in the same circumstances.

Having said that, it isn't at all uncommon for a manufacturer to replace a faulty item with a refurbished used item - it happens a lot. The fact that the original monitor failed within a very short space of time is grounds for you to contact Daewoo again, and tell them that you assume (as does the law) that the fault existed at the time of purchase, and that the monitor was not fit for its purpose. Say that you are therefore rejecting the monitor (even though they've sent you a second-hand replacement), and will accept a new model, or a full refund of your money.

Try that - keep a note of all relevant calls and names, and come back to this thread to tell us what happens.

sopwith 08:30 13 Sep 03

have allready done what you advised am awaiting
response from manufacturer.
a lot of "buck passing" is going on

Giantsquid 08:55 13 Sep 03

Contact Local Trading Standards and take advice on this issue, do as FE say's and keep all corospondance, I had a similar problem with a monitor and after consultation with TS, the problem was sorted after one phone call, a pleasant phone call I may add, don't lose your cool and exasperate the problem as people do not like being shouted at.
That said it should do the job it was bought for, so if this was me I would want a new model or simply my money back,
good luck.

Forum Editor 09:08 13 Sep 03

may well be going on, but that won't affect the facts. Stick to them, and as Giantsquid sensibly advises - don't lose your cool.

spuds 11:22 13 Sep 03

As Giantsquid as suggested, and I think I suggested on your other posting. Go to the Trading Standards and ask them to get involved [nicely]. It is suprising what a simple telephone call from them to the retailer or manufacturer can produce. Saves a lot of emails and bad attitude.Take all correspondence and particulars, that you have.

If the replacement that you have is four years old, then you may find that in another twelve months, spare parts may become unavailable.So you could be back to square one.

torMentor 12:30 13 Sep 03

it has to suitable for the purpose for which it was sold and of merchantable quality (and it isn`t and isn`t), you do NOT get a four year old refurbished monitor in place of something bought as new, thats Daewoos problem with the person they chose as a stockist, not yours. you want a new (as in no hours on the clock) monitor, NOT a second hand one that may be obsolete/break down forever next week, make this quite plain, don`t get abusive but insist, it`s the law, if they still want to play silly buggers take it to the small claims court and get your money back from the people that sold it to you, too many suppliers keep hideing behind this "you will have to talk to the maker" routine, thats just bull excrement, not working does not need a £50 a hour helpline to sort, they don`t do that for returned TV`s, they can`t do that for a monitor.

Mentor.

Forum Editor 14:36 13 Sep 03

that this monitor was purchased direct from Daewoo (you haven't said otherwise) so there's no 'stockist' involved. In fact, even if there was, you would almost certainly be better off talking directly to the manufacturer, particularly in the case of a monitor. The retailer has a right under the law to attempt to repair a faulty item, and in th case of monitors this will almost always involve a return to the manufacturer - many manufacturers prefer to talk directly to the consumer, and many retailers recommend that they do, it's generally in the comsumers interest.

It's a fact that many suppliers will provide refurbished items in exchange for faulty ones, particularly if some time has elapsed since the date of purchase, so that aspect of your experience isn't in itself isn't too surprising.

Notwithstanding torMentor's unfortunate choice of language, and assertive recommendation that you "get your money back from the people that sold it to you" in the small claims court I still advise you to take the action I originally recommended. A sensible but firm approach will win over overt aggression every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…