Is the customer always right

100andthirty 20:01 19 Mar 08

I have seen some extrordinary things on the forum. It would be over-generous to call them discussions. They usually start "I ordered a new customised computer from XXYY Computers on AA/BBB/XXXX. they promised to deliver in 3 days. 24 hours later I decided I wanted a different case/motherboard/hard drive. Fred from XXYY Computers said no becasue they'd started making it. I want my money back".

Surely, if an order has been placed and accepted a contract exists and, if the person placing the order wants to change the contract, both parties have to agree?

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but some of these threads have become personal vendettas, and don't in my view, fit with the concept of "consumer watch"; more like the old Monty Python sketch - "this way for an argument; do you want the £5 or the £10 argument sir?"

Stuartli 20:10 19 Mar 08

As any retailer will confirm, the answer is No in quite a large proportion of instances.

lisa02 23:20 19 Mar 08

Which threads?

Which companies gave a 3 day lead? and secondly which ones refused to change the order?

The ones I've read had a longer lead than 3 days and they did agree to change the order. Charged for the new order and then sent the original one.

If I order something at a distance I'm at liberty to change it unless it's custom made (that's different from picking parts out of a selection for a PC) Amazon etc allow you to change an order up until just before it's ready to be shipped.

I'm sure the supplier would rather the order be changed before dispatch than to ship the goods (computer) for the customer to reject it under DSR.

K_elt 00:16 20 Mar 08

Ok, to follow what you are raising an issue about please give an example of the thread type you are claiming. Please point us to a thread that starts in the way you state.

We can all then judge it from the same starting point.

K_elt

spuds 00:22 20 Mar 08

The customer is not always right, neither is the seller in some cases. If you have a little time, these links may help you decide!.
click here
click here
click here

K_elt 00:26 20 Mar 08

Oh, and to simplify things, can you confirm you are not involved in an issue with either a supplier or a member of this forum that is or has been recently discussed or covered in another thread on this site, or is subject to current discussion?

Just for clarification.

spuds 00:34 20 Mar 08

The Misrepresentation Act 1967 which covers Fraudulent Misrepresentation (This is when a person or persons knowingly makes a false statement), Negligent Misrepresentation (This is when a person or persons deliberately makes a statement without regard to whether it is true or not), Innocent Misrepresentation (This is when a person or persons makes a statement and they have reasonable grounds for believing it to be true even though it turns out not to be), could also perhaps give grounds for cancellation or changing your mind!.

100andthirty 06:59 20 Mar 08

Spuds asked if I was involved in a current dispute with a supplier.

I am not - this is related the some of the content of this forum

and to K_elt - there are various threads on the fist page of the Consumer watch forum

And to Lisa_02 - "3 days" was an illustration of things said eg "they said 3 days and it took 5" - and specifically about custom made PCs

But thanks for all the responses

K_elt 08:46 20 Mar 08

The threads I've seen have been based on what would be classed as off the shelf components on sites where the supplier offers tham as standard options.

If it were as you say, "customised", i.e. special parts that weren't included as a normal option from the supplier, the existing consumer law covers that.

Too, as Lisa_02 says, I've read threads where changes have been agreed with the supplier who in turn charged more, took the higher fee, then supplied the wrong spec. I would expect the supplier to put that right.

One of the good things about the help provided on these forums is that while those replying accept the initial position of the poster, members have shown they are quite astute in raising questions that soon clarify if someone is "trying it on" for sympathy, or if they are genuine in their claims.

The Forum Editor also does a good job of monitoring and keeping threads in check to prevent them getting out of hand, at least in my view.

This is what balance is about.

Forum Editor 08:59 20 Mar 08

abut bad service, or about faulty products, or about anything else connected with what marketing people call 'the buying experience', and of course the customer isn't always in the right. We see some unreasonable complaints, and when that happens other forum members are usually quick to point it out - common sense tends to prevail.

Occasionally we see a spate of complaints about a single supplier, and that is usually a sign that something isn't as it should be - not everyone who complains can possibly be in the wrong.

Most suppliers try hard to keep their customers happy, even if, at times, someone makes a request that isn't strictly in compliance with conumer legislation - they know that happy customers makes good business sense. Confrontation isn't conducive to a full order book.

In the main I think we manage to keep a sense of balance here - we've bbeen at for over seven years, and we have a lot of experience under our collective belts. Of course there'll be disputes, and of course some people will lose their temper - that's life.

Successful businesses are often built on the principle that the customer is always right.
However the customer isnt always right,but its how a company deals with subsequent queries and complaints that makes a difference.
As a business,a judgement call must be made wether a bad customer experience will do more harm via bad feedback or by resolving the issue to keep the customer sweet.Hopefully these would be in the minority otherwise a review of the sales qualifying process may be an issue.
A successfully handled complaint will often lead to an increase in loyalty,praise and future sales.

Communication seems to be the root cause of many of the complaints wether this is unrealistic lead times quoted or failing to respond to emails and telephone calls.
I had a not so good experience with novatech but the way it was handled left me both satisfied and without the need to slate them on a forum.I will also use them in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…