Currys This Afternoon

superhoops 19:25 13 Mar 09

I was on my way to Hackney this afternoon, and being a little early for my appointment I decided to pop into Currys in Leyton. I have been toying with the idea of the Samsung NC10 and thought I would go and have a play and possibly buy today. When I got in there all the netbooks had a demo running and trying to end the demo to bring up the desktop just brought up a request for a password to end the demo.
The conversation with the sales assistant went like this:
Me: Excuse me, could you remove the demo please so that I can get to the desktop
Asst: Why do you want me to do that
Me: I would like to try it out
Asst:I'm not sure, I will have to ask someone
(Assistant comes back a minute later with a colleague)
Asst2:You want to see the desktop?
Me: Please
Asst2: Why?, everything you need to know is on the spec sheet in front of the netbook
Me: So you expect me to pay over £300 for something I can't even try out?
(He then enters the password to remove the demo)
Me: Thankyou
Asst:See, there is nothing on the desktop, I told you
Me: Yes, but at least I can try it and see if it suits me
(At this moment the two assistants laughed to each other)
Me: I tell you what, leave it . I won't bother. Thanks for your help!
And they actually call them SALES assistants. What a joke.

canarieslover 19:53 13 Mar 09

It seems to be the sort of training sales staff in every store currently receive. I went into Morrisons today and one of the things I wanted were Mince and Onion pies. Nobody seemed to be interested in serving behind the deli counter and another assistant told me,"Ring the bell and shout out hot pies, then someone will serve you". I told her that the only way I would do that was if I was pushing a barrow down the street trying to sell them. She looked at me as though I was mad, perhaps I am to expect customer service. Needless to say I did the same as you and took my custom elsewhere.

oresome 19:57 13 Mar 09

If they want to halt the drift towards online sales, they must capitalise on what could be their strengths.

Being able to see and try out the equipment. Getting the benefit of helpful and knowlegeable staff and being able to take the equipment away with you.

If these things aren't offered, price becomes the only criteria and they can't win on that score with expensive sheds to maintain.

A disgruntled shareholder.

oresome 19:59 13 Mar 09

Morrisons models it's store on a market place.

It seems they're taking the concept a little too far!

MAJ 20:52 13 Mar 09

Hasn't this type of service always been the norm, it's not a new thing? I suppose you can't expect much better when they pay minimum wage, 'you pay peanuts, you get.....' If you want to see how it should be done, look to the USA. Have a nice day......... missing you already.

canarieslover 21:08 13 Mar 09

No thanks, insincerity does not make me feel good. Why waste a shop assistant at the door when they can be serving a customer.

superhoops 21:27 13 Mar 09

I have emailed the link to this thread to Currys Head Office and will be interested to see what their response is.

MAJ 01:36 14 Mar 09

It doesn't make me feel good either, but most aren't insincere, most take pride in their work and in just helping, most like to see their company doing well and thriving. It's a far cry from what happens over here. You go into a shop and the 'assistants' have faces on them like a wet monday and when they put their mobile down to grunt at you, you're nearly sorry you came in in the first place. If a complaint arises you're already in a bad mood mindset because of the treatment you've received. In the USA, if a complaint arises, you're in a far better mood because you have been treated well and you're not already in a confrontational frame of mind and the problem usually gets sorted in the best terms.

ened 08:00 14 Mar 09

It is down to local management.

I have had excellent service from our local Curry's Digial and the staff knew what they were talking about.

I agree with oresome about the need to play to their strehgths but I'm afraid I am a little bit naughty in that I tend to use the showroom to examine something in the flesh and then look on line for the best price.

Having said that I will always give the shop the opportunity to come down in price and if they are willing to come close to the online price they will still get my business.

Unfortunately many of the large chains don't give their local staff that flexibility.

laurie53 08:51 14 Mar 09

PCW - laptop problem -"Sorry, the guy that deals with laptops is at lunch. Can you leave it? That'll be a minimum of £69."

For all she knew it could have been just a flat battery caused by a faulty charger.

Stuartli 09:48 14 Mar 09

The staff at our local Morrisons (and Tesco Extra) will go out of their way to help when asked and almost invariably take you straight to the product(s) you require.

It's particularly relevant in the case of Tesco as it's one of its largest outlets in the UK; sometimes it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

This week I queried the price of one product bought at Morrisons (supposedly containing one-third more FOC), yet the price had gone up by some margin.

I had gone back to the store with the receipt and the customer service assistant checked out the price for me, before stating it was coming up as correct.

She then called the manager, who listened carefully to my query and, even though I had left the product at home, instantly authorised a full refund.

That's the sort of service that keeps customers loyal in what are very competitive times for the retail trade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…