Criticism on planned new build spec

mckayser 11:00 05 Apr 15

I am in the process of planning a new build in the UK - my first one in about 7 years! I am a bit out of synch with how the tech has progressed, so I am hoping for your help in guiding me into getting the best bang for buck and stopping me from making any mistakes!

Here is the general idea for my build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£70.76 @ Scan.co.uk) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£106.96 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£86.70 @ Scan.co.uk) Storage: *Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.99 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: *XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£225.76 @ Aria PC) Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.39 @ Aria PC)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.50 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £817.30

But then I noticed that I could buy a pre-built system from Scan.co.uk - the only alternatives would be:

Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS

Power Supply: Corsair 550W PSU

Total: £835.74

The upside to buying pre-built would be that I could pay it in instalments and I'd have a warranty on the product.

The system is going to be used for some gaming and the Adobe Creative Suite.

Any help on this would be welcome - whether I should swap for different parts, miss something out altogether - whatever you guys think!

Many thanks

HondaMan 14:30 09 Apr 15

Apart from the satisfaction of building your own, you can expect little or no help, apart from this forum, in resolving issues which may arise from compatibility or other problems.

I have built 4 computers for myself and many others for friends and family. My last computer was a Mesh and it has performed faultlessly over a 4 year period. I did not need to contact Mesh at any time. I am currently using an iMac. I decided that the lack of help in a self-build was outweighed by the help factor. You can in most cases, certainly in the case of Mesh still upgrade after purchase as they use an "open case" policy. There is also the added concern that as an individual you will not have access to bulk buying discounts and therefore what you build, although it may be better/faster/quieter than you can buy, it will almost certainly more expensive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…