Criticism of PCA

Jack D 22:56 04 Nov 03

It would be appreciated if the "powers that be" would advise us what they don't want us (i.e. the 120,000 odd) to complain about. We are, after all, the 120, 000, who make this site what it is. It would also save you having to lock threads or even delete those which get up your nose.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:07 04 Nov 03

You are more than welcome to set up your own help website that is one of the busiest in Europe, pay staff to look after it and also pay the enormous server costs. You obviously have never run such a site or you would understand that the owner of the site chooses what is and what is not on the site NOT the visitors. Of course I could visit your house and tell you how to decorate it. A rare triple Meh! here.

G

Jack D 23:15 04 Nov 03

Thanks for that (expected) sycophantic reply. Any Non-sycophants among our 120,00 membership, or maybe we should wait 'til the Time Zones change?

Tim1964 23:19 04 Nov 03

At the bottom of the page.......

terminus 23:23 04 Nov 03

think not commenting on what appears to be an illogical rant a sign if disinterest.

I can't see what the problem is about this advert, but then again I did install pop up stopper some time back.
I would suggest anyone who finds this advert so disturbing do the same, and stop whinging.

AMD user :-))

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:29 04 Nov 03

Okay I will make it easy for you as you have not read/understood the site policy.......'We reserve the right to remove your forum contributions without prior reference to you if, in our opinion, the content is inappropriate, may be libellous or is not in accord with our policies from time to time in force. Any such deletions will be made at our discretion and our decision in such matters is final'. I think that this should be fairly clear and answer your angst attack.

G

spuds 23:30 04 Nov 03

You state "We are,after all,the 120,000,who make this site what it is".Just over two years ago, this site had a nucleus of people, some are still with this site, others have left. All these people contributed to the very existance,of what you see today.

Yes, the volume of members as increased to the magnificent number of 120,000 plus, so that must speak volumes as to the correct way this site as been run.I have been a member for a long time now, and yes I have had posts deleted etc, but at the end of the day,do I pay for the upkeep of this site. The simple answer is No.So what rights,do I and others have,in complaining about the way the site is run, as though we are boni fide shareholders.

I like many other well known names, contribute freely on a regular basis.Hopefully Our advice and suggestions help some people, perhaps not all.Sometimes the 'management. as to put certain conditions and restaints on some posting, for various reasons, and why not. PCA pays for the site, and at the end of the day, the managements decision must be final.

Forum Editor 23:38 04 Nov 03

and of course you're entitled to your opinions, as is everyone else. You are indeed one of the 120,000 odd who make this site what it is, and we're always ready to listen to constructive criticism. The vast majority understand what you seem to have failed to grasp however, so for your benefit:

1. This is a free resource - it costs nothing to register and receive help, and your presence here does not even depend upon you buying our magazine.

2. Ours is a privately owned and operated web forum - we have a perfect right to decide what does and what doesn't get published here, and you agree to our terms and conditions when you register.

3. Nobody forces you to log in - if you're not happy with our editorial policy you are perfectly at liberty to vote with your mouse, and go to some other forum.

4. Over a period of three years we have managed to struggle along and build our registered membership from zero to what it is today. That hasn't happened by chance, or because we've been getting things wrong.

5. Without advertising revenue (which is the issue that has sparked you into posting this thread) we wouldn't be online this time next month - it's as simple as that. The site costs a small fortune to maintain, and we haven't got a bottomless pit full of cash hanging around, waiting to be spent on a website so that you non-sycophants can indulge yourself in a bit of casual sarcasm.

Does that help to bring things into focus for you Jack?

spuds 23:45 04 Nov 03

Two post running, same subject click here

Djohn 23:54 04 Nov 03

I've never considered myself as a servile flatterer, or toady! I defend the actions/decisions of the forum moderators simply because I agree with their right to do so. I don't always agree with some of the decisions that are made, but in almost three years of being here, nothing has upset me enough to complain about it in public.

If I did have something serious enough to consider mentioning, then I would contact the moderator of the forum and discuss it with him. He, after all is the only one who can authorise a change and not other members of the forum.

This is the second thread to-night that you have used or started, and in both of them you find reason to complain about the forum and the way it is moderated. I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve.

If you have a problem, then contact FE and tell him, he will reply and put your mind at ease regarding how many members this forum has and why he makes the decisions that seem to upset you. But to be fair, he has on many occasions explained the reasons in the forum itself. j.

Djohn 23:56 04 Nov 03

There you go! While I'm struggling to type this post, FE has already responded and answered your question. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…