Crimestoppers Scotland - Let me tell you a story..

Aitchbee 18:05 26 Mar 11

On a bus going in to town today I noticed two men outside the locked gates of a large newly built college. One was handing up a large green wheel-barrow.I thought it was odd.There was also a large white box-shaped van parked at the gates.

On my return journey on the bus about an hour later there was a large pile of building material inside the locked gates.The white van was just pulling away.Two green wheel-barrows were still inside also.
I thought maybe they might be back.(maybe during the night).
This was happening on a very busy road.
When I phoned Crimestopppers Scotland they did not seem to be very interested in my tale because I could not give them any names of the persons involved or the registration of the white box-shaped van.I wanted to remain anonymous.

morddwyd 18:35 26 Mar 11

Why didn't you phone the police rather than a charity?

Aitchbee 18:54 26 Mar 11

I prefer to keep my anonymity.I am a bit of a worrier at times.
I have never phoned Crimestoppers before. I thought it was part of the police service.
Maybe they have passed on the details I gave.
I was only doing what I thought was right.

finerty 00:17 27 Mar 11

why report it you should wait and then report it if you hear it on the grapvine

Forum Editor 10:02 27 Mar 11

It belongs in Speakers Corner, and I would normally move it. We're carrying out site maintenance at the moment, and I can't do that, but please bear it in mind for the future.

spuds 10:43 27 Mar 11

If you thought that you saw a crime in progress, then you should have phoned the police direct. Going through Crimestoppers would provide a delay for a police response, so catching anyone 'in the act' more difficult.

The act in itself could have been quite innocent, we had the other Sunday two people doing a similar thing at the local doctor's surgery. In that incident, it was genuine workmen doing a weekend job, and the keyholder had not turned up, and they had no means on direct contact. The police attended, and they got one of the GP's to attend and unlock the gates.

I do agree though, that reporting some issues, especially if anonymity is required, can be a problem. Our local council are always going on about dog fouling and fly-tipping etc, and the public should do more. Yet when you report these incidents, they will not make a report unless you provide full details including your own full details, plus the name of the offender's.

In my own case, I now have the direct mobile phone number for the local council warden, so I can let him resolve any issues.

Perhaps going a little further on this subject of reporting. We have a very well known and respected now retired ex-police officer living in our midst. Last year while on a bus home, he saw a similar incident of youths climbing over a school wall, so he used his mobile phone to report the incident. Due to his later investigations, he wrote to the local newspaper about his disgust and concerns, because no police attendance occurred, and the incident was classed as low grade. I wonder what would have happened if the youths had set the school on fire, or done thousands of pounds-worth of damage. This incident was never reported, except by the ex-police officer!.

Aitchbee 15:34 27 Mar 11

I assumed (wrongly) that Crimestoppers was a part of the police service.
Everyone who pays council tax is paying for this service.
I was in two minds wether to put it in Speakers Corner or Consumerwatch.
There might be a lot of people who don't know that Crimestoppers is not run by the police.
I always take care when deciding which forum to use.
Maybe I got it wrong this time.
I was not reporting a crime only suspicious behaviour to Crimestoppers.

Forum Editor 16:16 27 Mar 11

It should have been in Speakers Corner, as I said earlier.

Aitchbee 16:26 27 Mar 11

You are correct.

Jameslayer 20:53 27 Mar 11

I thought you had the ability to report all crimes anomalously. Never realised you couldn't.

Aitchbee 18:15 28 Mar 11

The materials in question were still inside the gates.The workmen were going about their business.
Every thing was as it should be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…