credit card...transactions not mine ??

Magik ®© 09:36 20 Jun 03

hi, just got the credit card bill in, and two items are not mine, both in dollars, total over £700, rang the card company, and they said they will look into it......what happens now? do i have to somehow prove they are not mine, or what?

thanks for any help.....

PINKNOSE 10:59 20 Jun 03

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.They will send you and form to fill in and ask you to destory the card(if you have not done it already) and they should refund the money.

mikef. 11:00 20 Jun 03

The company should do everything, but what you could do is request that the present card is cancelled and a new one issued, that should stop any other payments being from the card.

A salutary lesson to everybody make sure you check you statement many people don't and would have missed this.

Magik ®© 11:06 20 Jun 03

you are right, the wife got her statement in and was just going through it, normally it just gets paid by direct debit....only cos she said "big bill this month" :-(((

g0slp 11:08 20 Jun 03

Here's the situation as I see it, from what you say & my own experiences. There are doubtless others who will comment on this matter with more legal info.

I had someone run up US$2800 on my card a few years ago - internal airline tickets within the USA.

I was on a ship in mid-Atlantic when these transactions took place, & a letter from my employers to the card issuer took care of proving that these transactions were fraudulent, so no problem there.

In your case, if it's goods purchased & delivered other than to your home, then unless there's a signed letter from yourself authorising delivery elsewhere then there should be no problem. If it's goods purchased "on site", as it were, then it's possible that your card's been cloned, but as long as you can prove that you weren't there, then again there should be no problem.

If it's "services" on the phone, (no offence meant by this, incidentally, just another possibe senario, as you haven't specifically said what the transactions were) then it's a bit more problematic. I suspect that although your home phone bill may not show calls to the "services" concerned, it could be argued by the card issuer that you called from elsewhere.

Good luck with this, anyway

Magik ®© 11:16 20 Jun 03

the goods purchased, what ever they were, were both done on the same day, one for over£300, and the other for nearly £400, both at the same place.

Stuartli 18:23 21 Jun 03

The more on-line retailers take advantage of the additional last three figures of the number on the same side of a debit/credit card as the signature, the sooner it will help to stop fraudulent usage.

By asking for both this number and the account number and then having the three figure number checked on delivery, a great deal of fraud can be prevented.

It's not all that difficult for toe-rags to purloin credit or debit card account numbers but to get the three-figure number as well is very hard.

However, you don't make it clear if your two cases were done on-line or in person.

Stuartli 18:29 21 Jun 03

It's not strictly correct to say a credit card company will refund the money in this case - instead it will delete the amount involved from Magik ®©'s account statement as he was not responsible for the sum or sums involved.

Forum Editor 18:32 21 Jun 03

and issue you with a new card and a new account number. The old account goes into suspense, and the balance that wasn't your liability will eventually be written off.

It's happened to me, and I know what an unsettling thing it is. Put it down to experience and wait for the new card. If there's a delay you can ask your card company to transfer the credit balance on the account into your bank - mine offered to do this without being asked.

Bit 19:05 21 Jun 03

I've just posted to this in the 'Helproom', so I've copied it across to here as well. Hope that's OK (my first time on this site!)

I've just had the same problem with 3 transactions for £700 debited to my Visa account. The bank (Barclays) was very helpful, stopping the card and setting me up a new account, just in time to stop 2 more debits for £800 being authorised! I've just signed some forms saying I didn't authorise the debits etc. and they should be credited back within 2/3 weeks.

British banking law/practice says that if the cardholder still has the card in their possession they can't be held liable for any unauthorised transactions (unless they were 'negligent' which would be almost impossible to prove). It's the retailer that has to repay the credit card company (plus heavy 'chargeback' fees). There?s a bit more info at this link if anyone's interested. click here

Incidentally one of the debits was for £400 through and had only just been authorised so I (naively) contacted them to warn them it was a con and not to dispatch the goods. Amazingly they weren't interested and refused to do anything because I didn't know the email address and password that had been used by the fraudster to sign up/order with them!!! I find that really hard to believe because it's them that will have to repay this amount to my bank.

Bit 19:21 21 Jun 03

Sorry, me again!

Forgot to say that, if you've still got it, you should hang on to the old card as proof that it is still in your possession. Cut it up if you like but keep the pieces. If there are any disputes with the retailers involved you might be asked to send part of the card to your bank.

The reason for this is that if a card is lost or stolen you can be held liable to some, or all, transactions that took place before you notified the bank of its loss. Luckily most card issuers limit liability to the first £50 (and often waive that anyway), but there are some that aren't as generous - its worth checking your cards terms and conditions.

Anyway I think thats it for now!! Sorry it's so long winded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…