Credit Card Refund For Less Than £100

Alan Ryan 16:12 15 Dec 03

My wife is having great difficulty in getting a refund for goods she returned to the seller after buying them online and paying by credit card. As the amount is "only" £21, is it any use complaining to the credit card company ? I can't trace it in the small print, but I think I've read somewhere that a purchase costing less than £100 is not likely to interest the credit card firms on your behalf (against maladministration
or even fraud): am I wrong here ?

Stuartli 08:40 16 Dec 03

It's always worth trying your credit card company as, at the very least, it will almost certainly take the matter up with the firm concerned.

If it doesn't seem co-operative, casually mention the fact that there are dozens of offers of no interest on balance transfers, varying from six to nine months, available elsewhere...

The figure you mention of £100 isn't set in stone - some credit card companies have a figure as low as £50 which is far more useful to most people.

beeuuem 12:58 16 Dec 03

Legally the limits are set by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 click here and click here
however, that said, any CC company worth doing business with would accept a moral obligation to look at amounts less than the £100-00.

anchor 13:11 16 Dec 03

I would not have any hesitation on contacting the card company; what have you got to lose?.

I agree, any card company worth its salt would not refuse to investigate. Your case might even be the tip of an iceberg.

Alan Ryan 13:41 16 Dec 03

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses and for the link to the Consumer Credit Act. Failing any redress from the credit card company, is it worth contacting the Trading Standards Office (in the town where the goods were purchased)and asking them to apply pressure to the firm concerned ?

Patr100 15:56 16 Dec 03

Talk to the CC card company first.

Stuartli 16:33 16 Dec 03

Let us know the company concerned - loss of business is always an apt way to get one's own back on those involved.

Alan Ryan 15:51 17 Dec 03

We had an e-mail this morning promising a refund,
so in this instance, it might be better if I didn't disclose the company's identity. I agree that bad publicity can be an effective form of pressure on an evasive business when all polite requests for reimbursement are ignored.

MALLET 21:23 18 Dec 03

I had a problem when I purchased microphone/earphone set for the price of £10.
Having waited 28 days I phoned the retailer and they said the goods had been sent. 5 days later no goods so I phoned my cc company (MBNA)and got an immediate refund.So depends on your cc company.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…