Credit card problems - cheque as an alternative?

Kellogg 19:50 12 Apr 05

Hi,

I wonder if someone might be able to advise me on this small quandary.

I am wanting to make payment of a PC but unfortunatley the supplier in question is unable to accept credit card orders as their PDQ (?) maching is currently faulty and cannot be certain as to when it will be up and running again. In the meantime the alternative forms of payment are personal cheque or bank transfer. It would be no problem on my part to pay by cheque by I am reluctant as I'm quite sure that paying by credit card is a safer and more secure method.

Are there particular reasons not to pay by cheque especially with regards to the equipment being purchased and the large cost involved?

spuds 00:08 13 Apr 05

Do not even consider paying by cheque, as you will have no protection or security under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.Credit card payment will give you this security and peace of mind.If the supplier's states that they cannot take credit card payments through a faulty terminal, then I would suggest that something is amiss here. Replacing a faulty terminal is usually a 24/48 hour exchange maximum. Can they not except a signature or customer not present transaction!.

Kate B 12:43 13 Apr 05

I agree with Spuds - why can't they take a credit card payment? Avoid, I think.

Total Care Support 16:40 13 Apr 05

Hi

I saw something posted about this yesterday.

From the thread yesterday I was a little concerned because personnelly I did not know that Credit cards would offer cheques, I have been advised that they do, however no one knew if they would be governed by section 75 of the credit agreement act (equal liabity) the bit that protects you, so being a little bit bored at work and also likeing to know the answer to as many things as possible (some people call me a know-it-all I like to think i am just nosy) I thought I would try to find out.

First I phoned My Bank and credit card provider and suprisingly they would not give me the info I wanted.

Next I phoned Financial Services Authority as I could not find the info on their website; click here so a call to 0845 606 9966 and suprisingly they did not know but they refered me to the Office of Fair Trading(OFT).

So I phoned Office of Fair Trading(OFT) on 0845 7224499 and guess what they did not know but refered me to Trading Standards....

I phoned Trading Standards who... guess what DID not know but they referred me to the Financal Ombudsman 0845 0801800 who where by that time closed but I could find no reference to it on their website click here

I know this has not answered your question but personnelly if none of the governing bodies that are supposed to regulate this have an answer for me I would definately look into it further try the Financal Ombudsman you might be able to get hold of them.

Best regards

Daniel Warren

Mortticia 16:51 13 Apr 05

Don't risk it.

If they can't accept credit card payment go somewhere that will you will then have at least some protection if things go wrong.

smokingbeagle 17:00 13 Apr 05

I suspect that the cheque payment will be treated as a cash advance to you. It will attract a commission charge and interest from day 1.

Stuartli 17:14 13 Apr 05

No "suspect" about it - that's exactly what is involved...:-)

ade.h 21:54 13 Apr 05

I saw this earlier and, like Daniel of TCS, I got curious. I called my credit card provider and was told that, because a CC cheque does not use a credit card system like Visa or Mastercard, it won't be covered by the 1974 act; so it doesn't carry the same rights.

Mortticia 22:53 13 Apr 05

CC cheques would be treated just the same as if you used your card to withdraw cash from an ATM machine and you handed that over to pay for your purchase,so no protection at all apart from standard consumer rights.

So my boss (Manager of the bank where I work) told me this afternoon.

spuds 23:57 13 Apr 05

Just checked with Barclaycard,and this is their written statement: Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, which could make Barclaycard jointly liable with the supplier of goods or services for breaches of contract or misinterpretation made by the supplier,does not apply to purchases made using Barclaycard Cheques.

Also a Barclaycard cheques as a minimum spend of £100.00. Barclaycard also state that the cheque can be stopped if it is not tendered with a guarantee card. If the supplier asks for a guarantee card to support the transaction, then the cheque cannot be stopped.

So in a nutshell, I would still suggest that a cheque is definately not a good idea.

the kopite 07:25 14 Apr 05

Personally I would get someone else to place a order if their credit card machine was still down I would avoid if a company are prpared to lose buisness though something that is easily repaired that to me is suspect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…