credit card number intercepted on line

jrb1946 08:30 04 Mar 03

Thought it worth letting a few people know that I signed up with BT Click last week so that I could purchase a PCAdvisor magazine article on line.
My credit card number was intercepted by a "hacker" (yes they appear to have got through the 128 bit secure, padlocked interface) and an attempt was made to extract money from my account.
Fortunately my bank - HSBC - was on the ball and thought that the debit might be fraudulant.
This incident has not improved my view about the effectiveness of organisations like BTclick, paypal, nochex, Amazon, DABs and others who regularly take credit card details.

Andsome 08:39 04 Mar 03

VERY WORRYING

jrb1946 08:52 04 Mar 03

the provider name in my first msg should read BTclick and buy (btclickandbuy.com). It's all BT though.

rct 09:13 04 Mar 03

"intercepted by a "hacker""

Highly unlikely, although the code has been broken, it takes forever to decode the cipher in use for a particular transaction.

More than likely, BT stored/transmitted your card details unencrypted at some point and it was this that was broken into. They probably tried to cover their hides by blaming the "evil internet hacker", who don't get me wrong is still a criminal, but an opportunistic one exploiting an inefficient organisation.

A secure site is only any good if details are encrypted right up until the point of authorisation, just having encryption between you and the collecting server is useless and simply gives the consumer a false sense of security.

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 09:17 04 Mar 03

More or less the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, got a phone call at work from capitol One credit cards, they asked me if I had ordered anything on line recently, explained that had not used that card since last sept, and that I only ever use egg card on-line, they stated that an attempt to charge my card with one thousand dollars had been made!!, luckily for me they also thought it was unusual, according to the fraud department some "dodgy" site are able to generate random credit card numbers and with luck some get through!!.
In my instance they cancelled the card there and then and issued a new one, worrying though isnt it and it makes me wonder how much money is lost through this,and how much lower the interest rates would be.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:03 04 Mar 03

It is unlikely that a 'hacker' could target your credit card number. There are much easier ways to do this (ask any shop assistant or take a walk outside your local supermarket/gas station casting your eyes floorwards).

It is more likely that you were the victim of a sweep scan and NO amount of protection will stop this. Anyhow if there is any fraud on your card the company will refund you double-quick, so there really is no problem.

There are literally billions of credit card transactions per day and the incidence of fraud is negligible so don't worry, check your statements and use your card as often as you want. Ther ereally is nothing to worry about.

G

Stuartli 14:32 04 Mar 03

More and more organisations are now deleting most of the digits in debit/credit card numbers when printing out receipts, along with a faster takeup of the use of the final three figure number on the signature side of cards.

But it just shows how the unscrupulous endeavour to take advantage......

Forum Editor 17:50 04 Mar 03

about a year or so ago, when someone got hold of my credit card details and my address from an online transaction. In my case the thief used my card to open a pre-pay mobile phone account, and credited the account with hundreds of pounds before the phone company finally twigged something was wrong and contacted me direct.

My bank cancelled the card immediately, and transferred the full amount of available credit into my personal bank account, so I could draw on it if I wanted to whilst they set up a new card account. It was impressive service, and as a consequence I feel a strong sense of loyalty to the bank - their customer care paid off.

Djohn 18:14 04 Mar 03

Happened to me as well, four years ago. I had my Credit card in my wallet, (Safe and secure), and had spent approx. £300-00 on it. I received my statement with over £3000-00 debited over a period of 5 weeks!

After picking myself off the floor and phoning card company, they told me not to worry, they were cancelling the card, and new one in post along with form to fill in for fraud dept.

If I needed access to my credit account in the intervening period, just pop into bank and withdraw cash, and it would be treated as a card transaction, rather than a cash withdrawal.

New card arrived in 5 days and all fraudulent transactions had been removed from new statement. The nearest date we could put to the fraudulent use starting, was from a Petrol purchase some 6 weeks earlier.

Most of the transactions on my card where also for PAYG phone use, and also a large purchase of concert tickets. I suppose these were then sold on outside the theatre. J.

logoff 19:17 04 Mar 03

Just to add that I have spent much of the last 5 weeks dealing with the effects of someone obtaining bank account details to open multiple mobile phone accounts in my name. Doubt if this was internet interception but still not sure how this was done!

I personally visited the branch of Carphone Warehouse where some of the accounts had been opened and also found that a British Gas bill had also been used as ID (we left BG over a year ago-false account no. but had my name and address on it!)

Everyone (e.g. the mobile phone companies, British Gas) have been quite helpful and v. impressed with Experian.
The only let down-the bank I am with have been v. unresponsive and generally unhelpful.

Just fyi

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 19:21 04 Mar 03

Isnt it refreshing to see a number of people including the FE who have had this problem all remark on the high level of customer service offered by the various banks etc (myself included)and as the FE says "It was impressive service, and as a consequence I feel a strong sense of loyalty to the bank - their customer care paid off. " I for one was very impressed with the fact that my credit card company took the trouble and time to contact me at work and reassure me that it was sorted out, now if only we can sort out those pesky computer suppliers!!! but hen if we did that it would be goodbye consumerwatch!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…