Credit card fraud from buying on line

Acacias 07:09 05 Jun 05

On 22 May 2004 I ordered the Spyhunter anti-virus program from the Enigma Software group. I paid by Visa. On 25 May 2005 I received an email from Enigma advising me that the program should be updated so I duly carried out the update download.
On 4 June the credit card company asked me whether I had bought three items in the USA on that day. I had not used that credit card since buying the software in 2004 which is why the card company queried the purchases and also why I was able to pin down the probable source of the fraud.
I can't help wondering how often this sort of thing happens particularly when dealing with companies that have the expertise.

Forum Editor 10:54 05 Jun 05

as this is the best location for it.

Be careful before you accuse the software company of fraud - unless and until you have concrete evidence of the fact you are publishing a libel, and we are at risk if you do, so let me make it quite clear that to my knowledge you have no evidence to show that the Enigma software group has fraudulently used your credit card information. The company's online sales are made via a secure server, and it's very unlikely that your card details would be compromised in that context.

Someone has got your card details by the look of it. Your card company will have details of the transactions, but that's their affair - they are the ones who have been defrauded, not you.

961 15:50 05 Jun 05

Did this contain a link that you clicked or did you insert the Enigma web address into your browser yourself

Did you give credit card details again via this link

Can you establish where the e-mail purported to come from by examining the message source details (right click on e-mail>properties>details>message source)

This looks like a classic phishing scam and as Forum Editor says no doubt the Bank will sort things out. But it shows the importance of not clicking on links in e-mails. It would also be a good idea at this stage to perform an in depth scan for trojans etc with the regular programmes ATS, A squared, Microsoft anti spyware etc

keithlik 16:04 05 Jun 05

Couldn't agree more - better to be paranoid than bankrupt!
Almost all the problems I have heard of from friends have come from e-mail sources. I never ever open attachments without a proper scan and the number containing nasties is pretty high. Having said this, I do a lot of business on the Web and with a little care have found it most rewarding, both in savings and shoeleather.

jack 20:33 05 Jun 05

Vigilence is the keyword

Strange things are going on all the time.
My daughter- who does not buy on line at all - was contacted by her bank to say she was £1500 down on her debit card- but they were suspicious because the
transactions coming from an area not where she is living
It turns out this user had left a paper trail so was traceable - such as -would you beleive paying a parking fine!
The interesting thing here is the largest purchase was fron an online IT seller who presumably consigned the goods to an address other than the card holders - this I find most worrying.

Andybear 21:30 05 Jun 05

As regards having goods delivered to an address other than the cardholders, I always have stuff I order delivered to my work address. I've never had to have stuff delivered to my home address.

Acacias 06:12 06 Jun 05

I was not accusing a software company only stating a chain of events and posting a warning.
It is an individual who commits such an offence.
It was quite a coincidence though having only used a card once on line and that to an American firm, a year ago and something happening so soon after being in touch with them.
At least I've had my grumble!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…