Creative sound cards

Handy Spinner 13:00 05 Nov 05

I hope to be soon upgarding my whole system, and I am hoping to upgrade my sound card while I'm about it.

I've been looking at these two Creative models:

click here

click here

I wondered which would be better for me in my situation - lots of listening to music and some recording of music (that is, through microphones, guitar, etc). Can anyone advise me?

Stuartli 13:27 05 Nov 05

It sounds as though the Pro version might be more suitable for your intended purpose, although I'm sure the cheaper model would prove equally as effective overall.

Even modest SoundBlaster Live! cards cope well with recording guitars etc - my own Live! card originally belonged to a musician who used it for such purposes, yet can be bought for around £20.

However, it is an older Creative product and the new models are far superior. But it does all I require.

GaT7 18:30 05 Nov 05

From click here:

"The Sound Blaster® Audigy™ 4 Pro is the ultimate high-end PC audio solution for *digital entertainment* and *home music creation*."

"The Sound Blaster® Audigy™ 2 ZS Platinum delivers ultimate 7.1 surround sound for *gamers*."

Also consider (cheapest links I could find in brackets) the X-Fi XtremeMusic click here (click here), X-Fi Platinum click here (click here) & X-Fi Elite Pro (best, but very dear) click here (click here). Sorry if I just made choosing more difficult! G

Sans le Sou 22:15 05 Nov 05

Depends whether you want an internal or external box. I have an audigy 2ZS Platinum mounted in the case, the front connections are really useful and my son plays his electric guitar through it with an apropriate interface link. The remote control allows you to control the computer from afar even turning it off, and it it can be configuered in many ways. The pro version is external and the purists reckon it eliminates interference from the components of the computer, personally I have never had a problem using the internal box.

Sans le Sou 22:20 05 Nov 05

The mediasource software has a "What you hear" setting and records whatever is coming through the speakers, this enables you to record soundtracks from DVDs etc.

Jamesy 23:38 05 Nov 05

I think you will find both of them excellent. Honestly, but then again I can never tell the difference between most sound cards. £100 is a lot of money for one, but I'd go for the Pro

Handy Spinner 18:40 06 Nov 05

You've all helped. I'll probably go for the Audigy 4 - the top X-Fi model is tempting but ultimately, I can't fairly justify the cost at the moment.

Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…