Creating restore discs.

rdave13 22:53 PM 07 May 11

How has it come to need 18.8 GB of DVD discs space to create a 'return to factory reset' using four DVDs? Just bought a HP G56-113SA and gone through the recovery manager and used four discs. What a lot of bullshit. Four years ago a restore disc, with an awful lot more of advertising drivel, took one DVD disc. That's with Vista. A lot less to uninstall, this time, but burning reset discs is taking the preverbial piss out of the consumer I think. Win 7, home premium, 64 bit. PS. again; the 16 GB recovery partition was the first thing to go.

Shame on you HP.

Roadgiant 08:38 AM 08 May 11

Certainly seems like a lot, I bought a MSI CX623 which has Win 7, home premium, 64 bit 5 weeks ago and it used one and a half discs for the reset discs.

rdave13 10:11 AM 08 May 11

Precisely. The same disc space I used on a Compaq laptop some four years ago. Wonder why HP have decided to use so much space? It's ridiculous.

onthelimit1 11:55 AM 08 May 11

Does seem odd when the entire Windows 7 is on (what looks like) a third of a DVD, whereas back up discs for an HP Compac PC has just used 3.

rdave13 17:51 PM 08 May 11

Had a look at the burnt discs and they all seem to be used up. Disc 4 slightly less. This is judging by eye of course. Set up a HP desktop not long ago, for a friend, and that only used two DVD discs.

ventanas 22:33 PM 08 May 11

I assume the discs are for all the extras paricular to to the make /model - drivers and all the unwanted rubbish etc, as well as Windows.

I recently bought 3 Acer machines - two laptops and an all in one desktop. It took ages to create the restore discs for all of them - four for each, and because I'm paranoid I made three sets for each machine. Twelve discs in all. Whatever happened to the old fashioned supplied recovery discs. Surely it's not that much trouble to supply them. Even worth paying a bit more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know