Couple of questions about Dell Inspiron 1525-help!

WannaLearn 20:55 23 May 08

Hello! I'm considering this laptop, it seems to have a large enough hard drive space and it would be suitable for downloads, multitasking etc. Only I'm not too brushed up on the terminology, so I would appreciate if anyone could explain this to me:
1) Is WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife of good enough resolution or is WXGA+ (1440 x 900) a lot better and clearer?

2) The speed is 1.83 GHz, isn't it really slow?? How come my old PC is 2.4 GHz and this new laptop is not faster?

Thanks in advance!
Oh, and if anyone could suggest a good alternative to this brand/model, I would really appreciate it, just to see what my options are within the budget of around 400 pounds.

Acx 03:42 24 May 08

The TrueLife puts a glassy/reflective sheen on the screen.

This is good in dark areas (indoors) but rubbish in light areas(the garden).
Read this for a description
click here

'The speed is 1.83 GHz, isn't it really slow?? How come my old PC is 2.4 GHz and this new laptop is not faster?'

Because at £400, what are you expecting? You can get a faster processor but you will have to pay for it.

GaT7 11:33 24 May 08

The WXGA (1280x800) with TrueLife screen would be more than sufficient. I wouldn't bother if it's more than £10-20 to upgrade to the greater res.

About TrueLife itself - it's absolutely brilliant compared to a normal screen (to me anyway), but may not ideal in extra bright areas as Acx mentions.

Ideally, you'll want XP on a low-end(ish) laptop for best performance. Check out Dell's Vostro range (Small Business site) - some offer XP as an option for no additional cost.

If you desire a larger screen, consider a 17" screen (Vostro) with dedicated graphics for ~£410 (e.g.click here) - do NOT forget to specifically choose XP & the TrueLife screen.

If playing games, the dedicated graphics (8400M GS) in the above laptop isn't exactly gaming standard. Going for the next one up (8600M GT) isn't too bad for some older less graphically-intensive games - more info click here.

Go through a cashback site* (e.g. Quidco click here or click here) to get some cashback on your purchase. That's £17-18, if going through Quidco/Dell for a £350 (excl VAT & del) purchase like the 17" Vostro above. G

* Need to be registered, logged in & cookies enabled for tracking transactions. I've known of people making hundreds by remembering to do their shopping through cashback sites. Some charge a small £5 annual fee, but only if you make £5 or more in that year. More info click here & click here

Why wont it work 17:18 24 May 08

Regarding 'The speed is 1.83 GHz, isn't it really slow?? How come my old PC is 2.4 GHz and this new laptop is not faster?'

You'll probably find the processor is actually faster than your old one. Clockspeed (Ghz) only differentiates between models within a type of processor. For instance a 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo would thrash a 3.2ghz Pentium 4 at just about everything (due to newer technologies allowing more work per Ghz) etc etc). It'll probably also be dual core (two processors, which your old pc may well not have.

Mark v1.9.66 23:18 09 Jun 08

I was also considering the top end of this 1525 range, but what ruled it out for me was the integrated graphics rather than a separate GPU. This can cause problems, depending on what you use your PC for. If you want to find out more about the meaning and implications of any terms, just Google them and you'll find plenty of sites which explain them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…