Core i7 920 or Phenom II X6 1090T

MrNewName 17:28 27 Jun 10

I'm looking at a new PC for graphics / photo / video work.

Can anyone say if the i7 bundle click here is worth the premium over the AMD which is click here ?

The first of the these will also need a graphics card added to it; the latter has on-board graphics. The intel option does however have another 2GB RAM.

Thanks for any suggestions.

citadel 18:25 28 Jun 10

the triple memory in the x58 motherboard has bandwidth advantage for the type work you want to do,

MrNewName 11:25 29 Jun 10

Thanks citadel; that's helpful.

I've been searching for comparisons between the two and just don't get anywhere - some say the i7 is better for graphics, others that the 1090t is the better option. I'm not likely to overclock.

Any pointers to something definitive would be very helpful! Cheers.

Proclaimer 16:45 29 Jun 10

click here
Select a Program from the list and see how different CPU's performed

chub_tor 17:26 29 Jun 10

For comparing processors click here is a good site

MrNewName 18:26 29 Jun 10

Thanks guys - two good options there.

MrNewName 18:21 30 Jun 10

click here

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark 3DMark Vantage 1.0.2 CPU

Can anyone confirm what I believe to be the case, ie that there is little real world difference in these processors. I'm not into gaming so that doesn't make any difference.

Thanks.

keef66 14:57 02 Jul 10

I'd say they are pretty much identical in terms of performance looking at that!

AL47 21:26 02 Jul 10

If no overclocking the neither...

Go for the i7 860..

It's a quad core lynfield..

This CPU has 4 cores that run at 2.80 ghz each if all are in use .. however if the machine is only utilizing 1 core, it will automatically turbo boost to 3.6ghz when its needed

Why I say not the 920 is because of this, it does not auto turbo.. I have a 920 but its clocked from 2.66ghz to 3.8ghz.. 3.8 if one or 4 cores are used

The memory bandwidth will be less but if no overclock processing power will be significantly higher when not using multi threaded software

MrNewName 21:06 06 Jul 10

Thanks AL47; I'll take a look at this and a few other options but will likely put off the purchase until October.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017