Cordless Phones - a technical query

Salinger 20:41 26 Jul 04

I bought two sets of Binatone twin cordless phones from ARGOS at £13.90 per set (saw them mentioned somewhere, might have been here - but can't find the thread now!) Anyway my question is a technical one, I have reached my REN limit of 11 (using a REN booster) am I right in thinking that by registering 4 handsets to 1 Base Unit I will not exceed my REN capacity? My logic? is that since only one base is connected to the phone line then that equates to only 1 REN and not 4 REN as it would if all 4 handsets were connected to the phone line. Any BT engineers with confirmation? Thanks.

fuzzyone 20:54 26 Jul 04

Salinger,

i can't answer the technical questions, but can tell you that you can connect up to another 7 phones with these sets.

There is a walk-through in the instructions, on how to set each up.

Salinger 20:59 26 Jul 04

Thanks for your reply, yes, you can connect multiple handsets to them but this particular one will only permit 4 handsets. Still, the price is right!!

oresome 22:45 26 Jul 04

Your logic seems sound to me. The REN number for the base unit should be given in the literature supplied with the phones. This will not alter, regardless of the number of handsets registered with the base unit.

Forum Editor 22:57 26 Jul 04

that's on the base station will not alter, as oresome says. The signal to ring the handsets is sent by the base station, and consumes non of the BT line current - the handsets draw their ringer current from their onboard batteries.

Salinger 23:06 26 Jul 04

That's what I suspected, I couldn't see how a handset which was not physically connected to the phone line could add to the REN.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…