Copywrite on Google earth maps?

Diemmess 09:51 16 Oct 08

I would like to use small sections from Google earth map to show the boundaries of charity common lands in our village.

It is intended to display on the Parish Council website together with a description of the two charities involved.

In the past, during a village appraisal and production of a Parish Plan, an Ordnance Survey map was used.
O.S. required a fee because a copy of a map would go into the village magazine and importantly the magazine carried advertising, so was therefore considered to be a COMMERCIAL publication.

Since any reproduction will be on the website which is only there for public information, and carries no advertising at all, is there likely to be any strife if I were to press on regardless?

Covergirl 12:16 16 Oct 08

. . . and I don't have Google Earth at work, but if you go to click here , then click the Maps link and put your postcode in, then zoom in/out to the required view you want to show, then click the "Link" hyperlink top right in the blue band just above the map.

Drop this down and you have two options - one to create a link to that view (e.g. like this one to Londons Waterloo Station click here ) or the other link is entitled "Paste HTML to embed in website".

I've seen Google maps embedded into many a hotel / B&B / other website so I reckon this is the way to do it.

Copy the link and paste it into a suitable place on your website.

There's no other information regarding fees so I assume it is FREE !!

Anybody else any ideas ?

Diemmess 13:19 16 Oct 08

Thanks Covergirl.
No can do - this way.
I need to overlay and tinker with boundary lines and access points.

I do realise that if I trace the map as in Coreldraw and make it a line drawing, there is no problem at all since nothing of the original remains.
I feel that similar tinkering with colour and other mods will probably be enough on the web.

Terry Brown 14:54 16 Oct 08

I suggest you contact Google click here and tell then what you want to do and ask for their permission.
Terry

Diemmess 17:00 16 Oct 08

Thank you Terry Brown - tried your link having already searched for suitable contacts and there was a London phone number!
Unfortunately the number was an 8 point menu to direct the enquirer to the links already seen. "Press 9 to hear the menu again" which the number does anyway in a loop.

I think I'm being over cautious.

Covergirl 19:18 16 Oct 08

. . . backed up only by common sense:

Local notice boards often have maps displayed. If it's a full map, © Ordnance Survey (or similar) would be displayed.

Authors usually include an appendix of acknowledgments - I doubt they go to every source they use and ask permission. That's what the appendix does (in retrospect).

Therefore, if you use an OS map and mark it up as you desire, then post an image of this on your website along with an acknowledgement to OS, I'm sure you won't encounter any problems.

Word it so it doesn't imply you have their permission - "©OS" would probably do the job.

However, try posting on the Webdesign forum (if you haven't done so already) - you may get some definite answers there

Kate B 21:25 16 Oct 08

I'm afraid Covergirl's advice isn't good. OS is draconian about copyright on its maps and while you might not get caught, you are infringing OS's copyright and if it finds out it will go after you. We've covered this fairly extensively in Guardian Technology's Free our Data campaign click here If you read through some of the stories you'll see that OS is pretty inflexible about requiring commercial entities, even small magazines, to have a commercial licence, which isn't cheap.

As far as I can work out from here click here, Google Maps is only free for personal use: a magazine that sells advertising would fall outside that definition.

I think it's fair enough actually that a commercial body such as Google charges other commercial bodies for its IP; the case for OS charging is not as clear-cut.

Woolwell 21:55 16 Oct 08

Suggest you read Google's Terms and Conditions click here and then click through to Google Maps API and read the terms and conditions for use of that.

Forum Editor 22:56 16 Oct 08

you mustn't publish an Ordinance Survey map, or a section of a map without a copyright licence.The same applies to Google maps - not free for any commercial use whatsoever.

A golden rule where copyright is concerned is never to "press on regardless."

jolorna 23:05 16 Oct 08

a lot of people who use maps give a link to multimap website click here if that is any good to you

jolorna 23:14 16 Oct 08

not tried it but it says free or if the site is safe click here#

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac