Copy protection on CDs

Kate B 15:12 30 Sep 03

Grr - I see that the new Dido CD carries this wretched unwanted extra ... I won't be buying it.

Just one question, though - can these protected CDs REALLY trash your PC, or will they just not play?

Djohn 16:15 30 Sep 03

I don't have the answer to this, but agree. Even if these artist want to stop you from making a copy of their CD, they should still be playable on your system.

If they were to damage your system in any way, then I think you would have a claim for damages against the recording company, unless it is written on the CD that damage "will" be caused. j.

Morpheus© 16:52 30 Sep 03

they will not mess up the PC, the thing is, they will play, they come with their own player, which has,no save, copy, or right click....

tbh72 18:22 30 Sep 03

Scribbles out the new Dido album from his collection!!! Sorry Dido, but my system wont play ya!!!

-pops- 18:28 30 Sep 03

As leo49 says in another thread:

"Take it back - voting with our feet is our only weapon in fighting this nonsense."

I'd add: Vote with your purse or wallet and keep them firmly closed if you see this nonsense as well.

Forum Editor 19:06 30 Sep 03

they will not trash your computer. Whether or not you think that copy-protection is "nonsense" depends on your point of view of course. If you were a music production company you wouldn't think it was nonsense at all. A copyright owner has a perfect right to protect his/her/their property from illegal copying, and may do so by any legal means available.

The fact that a CD is sold with protection that prevents it from being played in a PC (or a Mac) should be clearly stated on the front of the CD case - and always is as far as I'm aware. This being the case, it's up to you to decide whether you buy it or not, and presumably the producers have weighed up the consequences in terms of lost sales.

My own view is that this is but one small battle in the music copyright war, and that we'll see other, more potent attempts at protection in the future. What form these might take is anyone's guess, but I don't see the big music companies walking away from this issue without putting up a massive fight. Some of the best technical brians in the business are working on ways to beat CD copying - in both the music and software industries, and there'll be a glittering prize for the person who cracks it once and for all. That it hasn't happened yet is an indication of the sheer complexity of the task, and in my view the industry might do better to address the problem from a different angle.

It shouldn't be beyond the industry to develop marketing strategies that would remove (or at the very least drastically reduce) peoples' desire to copy. If music selling prices were nearer to the public's perception of what constitutes a 'value for money' deal I believe copyright theft would decline - it simply wouldn't be worth the trouble, and in that circumstance most normal people would choose not to break the law.

Forum Editor 19:08 30 Sep 03

a technical brian? Is it similar to a technical brain? I hope so, because that's what I meant to type.

-pops- 19:23 30 Sep 03

"a technical brian"

I'm a technical Brian but in a different field<;-))

tbh72 20:13 30 Sep 03

Can I just add, that this copy protection issue has stirred some realisations. I realise the true value of my music collection, I realise the passion I have for my hobby/interest, I realise that I am happy to pay £10.00 for a CD that works.

Whether a CD / Album is worth £10.00 is really not an issue when weighed against the loss of 2 CD's from my collection. Do I really have the heart to push for £8.00 whilst loosing out on albums that I want for my collection or am I happy to continue to pay £10.00 & get CDs that work.?

The debate continues!!!

Regards
T

Jester2K II 22:34 30 Sep 03

You are not allowed to post information about software of technique that can be used to circumvent copy protection as part of the terms and conditions of this forum.

I doubt ANY such software is LEGAL.

esbe 22:45 30 Sep 03

Hi,
Also I wonder why Sony for example, produce Cds with copy protection, yet they make MD Players/ recorders etc.
Why then are Philips up in arms about copy protection on cds, because apparently it contravines their format. Cds with copy protection are corrupt and should not bear the 'CD'logo.
If thats the case, should they be sold as a'Cd' at all?

click here

Food for thought eh?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…