Copy Protection

tbh72 04:32 27 Jan 03

What with CR/RW & DVD/RAM more and more companies are applying anti piracy element's to the disk which they sell. Assuming when you goto the shop to buy the latest movie release, you are in fact buying the product ( the movie ) as appossed to just buying the media ( disk ). If these companies are making it near impossible to recreate a disk so as your original can stay in mint condition, then surely any film, music or software purchased should be replaced should your disc become damaged. In all fairness, I think you should pay a small fee for the media. But I don't see why you should have to purchase the product again at full price.

I ramble an very often don't make sense, so I'll give you an example.

I purchased a music CD by Lene Marlin, I know I have great taste. The cost of that CD would have included. Artist Royalties, Production Cost's & of course the Media (The CD itself). The CD is now unplayable due to damage, In the perfect world I should be able to get a replacement CD for the cost of the Material. I feel this is especially important with the new copy protection features being in built. WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO PAY TWICE!!!!

DieSse 09:53 27 Jan 03

I suppose next time you damage a book so that it's unreadable, you'll be expecting a replacement for the cost of the paper??

BRYNIT 10:36 27 Jan 03

I can just see it.

Take it to the service desk.

The assistant looks at the CD, mumbles a few words under his breath and says, we'll have to charge for this repair. It's not cover by the warrantee. Let me see hmmm costs are £30 for labour + material.

€dstow 10:48 27 Jan 03

"The CD is now unplayable due to damage"

I try to take care of my possessions.

If by chance they get damaged then it is not normally the fault of the product, ergo the responsibility for the damage is not placed on the product but on the person causing the damage.

€d

tbh72 10:57 27 Jan 03

But can't you see, you have purchased ownership of said material, payed the licence so to speak. If you are not able to copy, then surely THEY should not make you pay again for something you've already purchased.....

€dstow 11:12 27 Jan 03

This may be a stupid analogy but, here goes:

If you buy a pot of strawberry jam from Tesco and when you are putting it away you drop it on the floor and smash it. Would you expect Tesco or the jam manufacturer to replace it for you?

€d

Stuartli 13:04 27 Jan 03

Nero seems to have no problems copying copyrighted CDs (for personal backup purposes).

I agree that a backup copy is essential as CDs are somewhat fragile and it is easy to damage one, however careful you try to be.

The record company hasn't lost any money as you would only buy one of each music CD in the first place; I'm stating this without any reference, veiled or otherwise, to the ridiculous prices charged on the high street...:-)

max-headroom 13:06 27 Jan 03

I think that €dstow is right here. The only time you can get a new copy for a lower price in the event of damage is when you have purchaced a licence to use the amterial - i.e. software. I've heard of MS sending out lower priced replacement media once you have proved you have a licence.

Stuartli 13:06 27 Jan 03

PS

I'd rather replace a pot of jam than an expensive music CD, although I'm quite clear on the analogy.

jjf72 13:28 27 Jan 03

On quite a few PC and Playstation games there is in the small print, a claim by the manufacturer that if the disk does become damaged then they will send a new copy on receipt of the original. They do often charge a fee of £10 or so, but still better than buying a completely new copy.

powerless 13:29 27 Jan 03

Also CD's have been around since the eighties but the abilty to "make" a CD and in this case "copy a CD" has only been available to the home user since the mid/late nineties? (Correct me if i'm wrong).

We've survived without copying a CD...

So lets continue...

If you scratch your CD "tough" you have to be careful and also note that CD-R/RW's come with warnings about avoiding scratches etc...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…