Consumer rights please non PC related

Steven135 23:12 18 Feb 04

Sorry for posting a question that is not about PC's but I know that thereare those on this forum who know their stuff in this area.

We bought an automatic washing machine 11 days ago from Comet and it has stopped working:

Can we insist on a replacment or a refund as opposed to a repair?

TIA

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:31 18 Feb 04

IIRC you have to give the company a chance to repair. I would imagine that it is something minor and once repaired will last for eons.

G

spuds 23:34 18 Feb 04

Have a browse here click here click here

Forum Editor 23:56 18 Feb 04

within six months of purchase current consumer legislation assumes that the fault was present on the day you bought the machine, unless the retailer can prove otherwise. In those circumstances the retailer has the option to repair the machine within a 'reasonable' time (not defined).

In your case, with the machine only 11 days old you still have the option to reject it as not fit for its purpose, and demand a refund or a replacement. Under no circumstances should you go along with any suggestion that you deal with the manufacturer, or that the retailer will refer the matter to the manufacturer - unless you are prepared to accept that solution. As GANDALF <|:-)> says - the fault may be a minor one, and rectifiable by an engineer at your home, but I don't have any way of knowing - this is a computer forum.

Steven135 00:02 19 Feb 04

Thanks FE I know its a computer forum I've come here 2626 times but I also know that your wisdom on matters of consumer rights is tranferable even to washing machines (thank goodness) which are an awful lot less fun than PC's but try doing without one for a while and even I have to take an interest.

Thanks for answering, now when I ring I know my options.

Steven135 17:25 19 Feb 04

Thanks seekit very useful

mole44 22:19 19 Feb 04

this foram is superb,if only the world ran like it there would be peace all over the world

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…