Consumer rights ?

Migwell 23:20 27 Aug 03

I had a modem that went wrong and would not work. I took it back to the computer shop where I bought it from complete with all that came with it phone cable, instructions and driver disk also the receipt. I was told that they would have to test it before anything could be done, ie a replacement or even my money back.
I was asked to sign a paper to say that I would pay them a testing fee of £20.00 if they found that they could get it to work, but this would not be done in front of me and would not be that day. I would have to ring them up for the results and call back if I was going to get money or replacement.

I felt that they would say that they had it working by using another modem of the same make, charge me the £20.00 for testing.

What do you think of service like that and what are the best ways of tackling this problem?

TBH1 23:32 27 Aug 03

You don't live in Erdington by any chance do you ?

jazzypop 23:36 27 Aug 03

£20? Even PC World sold internal modems for £12, last time I looked.

Migwell 23:40 27 Aug 03

No I live in Newcastle upon Tyne. This seems to be the way the local suppliers treat computer users up here. starting to think Maplin and PC World after this.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:46 27 Aug 03

This thread encompasses all the reasons why I never use small computer shops...PCW or nothing.

goonerbill 23:50 27 Aug 03

i may be wrong but i do believe that consumer rights have now changed, its up to the retailer to prove that what they sold you was working not you to prove that it wasn't and having to pay for the privilage is taking the p***.

would contact trading standards, if after going back and pointing out that under the new consumer act, ya aint got to pay them a penny to test the card and they should either replace it or give ya money back and if they wish to test it, its at there expence not yours.

do a search on this site as there was a posting on consumer rights a few weeks ago.

TBH1 23:50 27 Aug 03

yes, I am beginning to feel that way too

Turkey Tech 09:56 28 Aug 03

Under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which came into effect at the end of March this year, it is the retailer?s responsibility to prove that the goods are not faulty within the first six months after purchase.

Therefore there is no way that they can levy this charge and you should speak to your local Trading Standards office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…