conned by ebay seller

beb 22:06 16 Dec 06

thought id purchased a dvd box set of rescue me season 2 for my son , not recived yet, ebay ad clearly states region 2 , "In Hand Ready to Ship" , he has def recived payment , have email to confirm this but recently found out that this box set will not be out as region 2 till end of january 2007 ebay ad did not state this , ive sent 7 emails to his personnal email addy and trough ebay , no replys , ive also sent email to ebay but no reply as yet , any advice on the next step very much appriciated .......ps ive got the sellers home address .

hzhzhzhz 22:47 16 Dec 06

The ad that I've found on ebay says that its an Australian import. Is it released earlier over there?.

FatboySlim71 22:58 16 Dec 06

If the ad does describe the dvds as region 2 and they are not, then the trades descriptions act applies as the item is not as described.

Border View 23:55 16 Dec 06

Tell the seller he either refunds the money or you give him very negative feedback.

sean-278262 07:22 17 Dec 06

If paid by paypal just dispute it. However if you did not pay this way then other than reporting it to the police after a couple more weeks (it is defined as theft under the theft act 1968) there is little you can do. Alternatives include getting their address and paying a visit not always advised or easy. If you have only a few purchases on ebay ie 3 feedback or less I would neg feedback and ditch the account for a new one. You are not meant to do this but often it is the only way to get them as they will do the same back even though you have been a good customer.

FatboySlim71 09:30 17 Dec 06

Fair enough about leaving negative feedback but all this normally means is that the seller will leave negative feedback for the other person, negative feedback is like tit for tat IMO. I think the best thing to do is to just await an email off of EBAY as you have mentioned that you have emailed them to notify them to what has happened, I agree it is better to pay by PayPal as you have more protection, if you have not paid by PayPal then there seems little else that can be done.

Try dispute conso;e in ebay but you should remember that Australian purchases will take 10 to 14 days and at this time of year maybe after Xmas NB last international post is now finished for delivery by Xmas
I have helped by complaining through dispute console 3 bad sellers to be banned from ebay because of failing to send goods or sending fake items through bad advertisement

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:49 17 Dec 06

Have you not got an any region player? I thought they were common.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:51 17 Dec 06

ps...most DVD players have a hack to make them any region if this helps. Post the model here and I'm sure a hack can be found.

G

spuds 11:05 17 Dec 06

If the item was purchased from Australia and the seller was/is classed as private or even trade, then your only route is to wait for eBays reply. If you made a payment through PayPal, then eBay will pass the complaint onto them for further investigation regarding possible return of funds.

If you go into dispute, then 'item not received' or 'not as described', can lead to confusion with eBay/PayPal methods and procedures.

If the seller is based in Australia, and classed as private or 'trade', then UK consumer laws and trade descriptions will not apply, more so if there is a trader/business implication. Buyer beware comes into the matter.

I generally find when dealing with overseas sellers, a 'contact seller' email is the best bet, well before the end of auction, requesting certain details that may give you information as to whether the seller or item is worthy of further consideration. No reply or genuine answers to emails, then no deal.

If you have started a dispute procedure, then check to see if the seller 'is no longer' a member or registered. This usually suggested that eBay/PayPal are taking action. The same could also apply to your account, due to eBay's funny methods at times. Also consider, that PayPal 'may' charge you an administration fee of £15.00 if they find the seller guilty of an offence within their terms and conditions.

spuds 11:11 17 Dec 06

Forget to mention, what as already been suggested. The mail service from Australia to your doorstep. isn't like dealing with a UK to UK address. Fourteen plus day's or perhaps slightly longer may well be expected. Having stated that, I have received eBay purchased item from Hong Kong, Germany, Singapore and the USA within a week, on a number of occasions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now