Concern over insurance claim for PC replacement.

TheUnknownTech 23:14 03 May 15

Hi all, i would be grateful of your opinions as my insurance company are pricing up a new pc, as it was damaged by a third party contractor.

They have come back with the following CPU and motherboard combo AMD A4-6300 Dual Core APU (3.7GHz) and Radeon HD 8370D Graphics with ASUS A58M-E FM2+ (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 2.0, 3Gb/s) Motherboard

I believe this is a lower spec in comparison to the AMD Phenom II 1055t 6 Core AM3 processor with Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Motherboard, that was sent to them for inspection.

Am i right in thinking that the Phenom II 6 Core 1055T is comparable with the Intel i5 4690, the AMD A8 7600 or AMD A10 as the CPUBoss website confirms.

The PC should be replaced with a comparable one and believe am getting short changed on the processor / Motherboard. I have rejected the 2nd proposal as they have provided a desktop tower unit rather than a desktop HTPC unit. The first proposal was a 500GBP PC World voucher.

Your opinions on this would be greatful, much appreciated in advance.

alanrwood 09:06 04 May 15

Negotiate for a voucher at a value you consider fair and then buy what you want or you can ask for them to give you a cheque to which you can add money to get something better.

morddwyd 09:29 04 May 15

I fear this may be a long fight, but stick with it.

I had a similar problem with a broken touch screen laptop a few years ago.

Firstly they insisted that I call in at their office in Stafford, with the laptop, to discuss the claim. I live in Fife!

Then the replacement they offered was not a touch screen and was worth less than I had been quoted for just a new screen on its own.

They continued to procrastinate and it came to threats of the Ombudsman and OFT before they came up with a reasonable offer.

Stick with what you think is right. You will have to compromise in the end, but so must they.

Is the insurance company yours or theirs?

If you have your own insurance it might be worth contacting them.

TheUnknownTech 12:08 04 May 15

Many thanks for the advise on this so far.

As a clarification on this issue, my insurance companies suppliers are pricing up a new pc, from an online retailer, once priced they will give me a cash settlement.

Their tech team have come back and said that a AMD phenom II 6 core 1055t is comparable with an AMD A4 6300, and that is what they are offering, looking around the interweb on a few bench Mark sites it is confirmed the A4 processor is significant slower and the offer was rejected.

So either they are trying to pull a fast one or their tech team needs training. The reason the PC world voucher was declined is that the PC in question is a HTPC media unit that fits in the lounge tv cabinet and you can't get a decent one with a Bluray burner one from pc world that can be upgraded.

As a qualified IT technician myself this has annoyed me .. so have decided to do some research on this matter and get opinions from people, from forums and also have contacted the online retailer asking them for a clarification on the CPU's specs.

The third-party company have been contacted and the reports from my insurance company have been sent to them for their investigation.

rdave13 18:37 04 May 15

Passmark test on the CPUs.

Phenom

APU

Seems quite a difference to me. As for the motherboards I would search the specifications for both. Then print the information for reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…