Computer speaker distance limits

johnincrete 08:00 05 Mar 09

I have external speakers connected to my computer and get excellent results. Can I use some sort of extension lead to use the speakers about 10 metres away from the computer? The speakers plug into the mains for power.

spuds 08:23 05 Mar 09

Some if not most set-ups will work fine with the way you mention. But remember it can also depend on the quality of the actual items themselves, and where they are placed, and whether it would meet your own personal satisfaction.

Go for it and see ;o)

wiz-king 08:50 05 Mar 09

You may need a screened cable or it will pick up mains hum something like this click here You could try it with bell-wire first.

Stuartli 13:31 08 Mar 09

Most computer speakers have a comparatively low power output - positioning them up to 10 metres away (more than 30 feet) will mean they will be difficult to hear and, if turned up too high to compensate, the sound will be severely distorted.

If you're asking what sort of extension lead you need then something like this will do click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…