Computer Planet

Craig.m 20:47 15 Jan 07

I am looking around for a PC and found Computer Planet's site, there I put together what i think is a pretty reasonable PC for under £600.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before and what they are like, what the standard of product is like? They seem to use stock parts so nothing too bad there.

The spec is as follows:

Optical Drives\DVD Writers
NEC DVD±RW/DL 18x6x18x8 AD-5170A BLACK

CPU\AMD Athlon 64 X2
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ 1MB SKT-AM2

Memory\DDR2
1GB DDR2 PC-5400 667 MHZ

Hard Drives\SATA
160 GB SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB

Graphics Cards
ASUS 512MB GeF 7600GS SILENT DVI SLI

Motherboards\AM2
ASUS SKT-AM2 M2N4-SLI S/L 2000MT/s

Computer Cases
Black/Silver ATX Tower Case 350W

Power Supplies
STANDARD PSU INCLUDED WITH CASE

Operating Systems
WINDOWS XP PRO + FREE VISTA UPGRADE

Sound Cards
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL 5.1 SOUND

USB Ports
4 X USB 2.0 PORTS
Networking
FAST 10/100 LAN (BROADBAND READY)
Hardware Support
12 MONTHS 24/7 E-MAIL SUPPORT

Software Support
12 MONTHS 24/7 E-MAIL SUPPORT

Warranty Package
1 YEAR RETURN TO BASE

Delivery Options
NEXT DAY AFTER COMPLETION

Monitors\TFT 17" 17" TFT 12MS Black/Silver Multimedia

Totally-braindead 00:24 16 Jan 07

Looks ok. Don't know the firm at all.
Only concern I would have is the power supply. A standard 350 watt may well run it but I think you will find a 450 watt is probably recommended by the graphics card company. I could be wrong but theres an awful lot of people on this site at the moment having problems with graphics cards not getting enough power from the power supply. I would pay extra to have it upgraded and would personally prefer a branded power supply as well.
Just noticed the monitor. 12ms response time is a bit slow and might have a problem with ghosting when playing games or DVDs. Might be worth trying to change that as well if you can.

sean-278262 01:23 16 Jan 07

Computer Cases
Black/Silver ATX Tower Case 350W

As TB said, more is needed here. I have a much older card in my case and I have a 400W on a 2 year old PC so do get a minimum of 450W if not more. It doesnt mean it uses that all the time just that is the max it can give the PC.

Just calculated on a site that your PC at a minimum will use 295W without including anything else in the system or a monitor which may be run from the system also. And some of the parts I had to specify were outdated by quite a while. So it will need it.

Other than that I would say that many sites offer you to go up another processor level for about £10 which often can be worth the extra pennies.

Best of luck and let us know. Never heard of Computer planet either.

Craig.m 12:05 16 Jan 07

I will keep looking around, Novatech are offering a similar price with an Intel dual processor and a GT rather than a GS video card, though it is 256 instead of 512.

Will keep an eye on the power supply side of things and upgrade if possible

Thanks for your responses, I can't find anyone who has dealt with Computer Planet but I have heard a lot of people talking about Novatech. Though one issue with Novatech is that the system I saw had a price including and excluding VAT, if you add it to your basket it puts it in at the +VAT price, then adds £10 to that and to top it off - they then add VAT again at the bottom. When did VAT go up to 35%

Totally-braindead 16:35 16 Jan 07

Don't understand what you mean about the prices. I just tried it and the cheapest one £468.82 which is without operating system and without a monitor(as all Novatech systems are, you have to pick your own monitor individually) comes out including delivery at £477.63. Thats £468.82 plus delivery so I fail to see where you get the 35% Vat from. I suggest you look again.

Craig.m 17:16 16 Jan 07

I have been back in and checked on the system, it now seems to be OK on the price, if you choose no OS they have a few in stock but with an OS they have 0 in stock. Think I will keep looking around, Novatech seem a better bet than Computer Planet

Spactree 09:16 27 Jan 07

I have another sad tale from Manchester's Computer Planet Ltd - they still have not answered my emails after sending me a package that did not contain the 2 HDD ordered and had a cracked case, the BIOS refuses to save to CMOS when powered off, reverts back to ghastly defaults. My earnest advice is not to ever use Computer Planet Ltd's terrible service ever ever again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now