Computer Manufacturers

jimnjo 16:29 08 Oct 03

Like many others, I am in the process of replacing my present system, Athlon 800mhz (TIME).
Looking to spend between £800 and £1200.
Thought you may be interested in my research so far.

Systemax:- Have made 4 requests for a catalogue, 2 on the net and 2 by phone. Nothing received from them.

Mesh:- Phoned for brochure, received quite quickly. Emailed them twice with a simple question about delivery. No reply

Time:- Called into Computerland in local town to view systems. Asked rep about directx 9 compatability, he had no idea what I was talking about. Also he informed me that TIME have stopped using the ATI 9800 card and use the 9200. I looked at one of the systems on display and it clearly showed that it was using a 9800 Pro. Are they conning people by using a 9800Pro and telling us that it is a 9200. Also when will they get rid of that old case.

PC World :- Limited choice. Also I wandered around the display models, playing with them checking them out etc. No salesman approached, seems they leave you alone if you look as if you know something.
Strange that nobody said anything to me, I could have been doing anything to their computers but they just left me to it.

Evesham :- Asked for a brochure on the net the other evening, it arrived within two days. Their systems are a bit more expensive than other suppliers but so far service is good. May reduce my specs and purchase one of their machines.

It seems some Manufacturers just dont care about sales or customer service.

More to try but must be getting close to my 800 word limit.

Jim

johnnyrocker 16:33 08 Oct 03

try click here and let me know what you think they build to requirements and did a good job for me.

cheers.

johnny.

Rayuk 17:27 08 Oct 03

I think you will find that far from conning people they wouldnt be making much profit on the system,as the Radeon 9800Pro is the top end card.

jimnjo 18:26 08 Oct 03

Yes the 9800 Pro is a top end card, I know that but it appeared in the store that they were using a 9800Pro on their demo machines.
The idea being that customers would think that is the display they get with a 9200.

I may be wrong but why use display computers with a top rate board when you are selling comps with a lesser rated board.

Jim

jimnjo 18:27 08 Oct 03

Further to my earlier thread, MESH have now answered my email, may put them back on my favoured list.

Jim

Rayuk 19:24 08 Oct 03

Sorry misunderstood.
Agree with you on this and also their cases.

dagbladet 19:34 08 Oct 03

jimnjo

"PC World :- Limited choice."

Just the odd 30-40 machines

"Also I wandered around the display models, playing with them checking them out etc. No salesman approached, seems they leave you alone if you look as if you know something. Strange that nobody said anything to me, I could have been doing anything to their computers but they just left me to it."

Go on, I bet you were just dying for them to come over so you could catch them out weren't you.

R4 20:06 08 Oct 03

This Manufacturer have good prices and service and can build to yours spec on their blueprint custom systems... Pick your own parts they build and test them.
click here

jimnjo 20:15 08 Oct 03

Not necessarily trying to catch them out Dagbladet but sometimes I do like to find out just how much these people know about computers or electronics.
It also makes me laugh when someone tries to tell me how good a machine is and what it can do, and you know they havnt a clue.
Its cruel I know, but they should be better informed.

Thanks johhnyrocker and R4 will give those sites a glance when I have a bit more time.

Jim

Evesham Support 09:10 09 Oct 03
  larusso 14:02 09 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…