Computer Maintenance Scam - Advice

squ1rrel 09 Aug 11

My elderly neighbour has just fallen for the "computer maintenance" scam and paid up £180. What does he need to now?

The scam has been widely reported, but I have not found much good advice for those who have fallen for it.

So far...

a) Card: I've told him to contact his card company and get the card stopped immediately. Is there any chance of getting his money back?

b) Computer: The safest option is reformatting the disk and re-install of Windows (XP) - which is a fair bit of work. Are any free malware detectors effective against whatever it is that these guys install?

c) Identity theft: What should he do? Is there evidence of this scam leading to identity theft?

d) Reporting: Who should this be reported to? Police?

Thanks

wiz-king 09 Aug 11

Cancel credit card

change all website and e-mail passwords

remove the programme that has been installed on the computer to allow remote access - a restore to a previous date may be sufficient.

report to local trading standards

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message