Computer for mainly FSX

rajchahal18 14:20 23 Aug 08

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my computer and have a budget of around £700/£800. I'm going to be using it mainly for FSX (preferably on highish settings) and would really appreciate some advice on a few specs.

1) I'm not really sure whether to opt for the 3Ghz E8400 Intel core 2 duo or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. So should i go for quad or duo?

2) I also a bit stuck on which memory card to choose. Is the nVidia 9800GT going to be okay, or would it be worth going for the ATi 4870?

Also i'm guessing that 4GB of ram would be sufficient? As for sites ive seen one here click here or click here, however I still need to look around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

GaT7 15:22 23 Aug 08

I think you'll find the HD 4850 is best for price-performance at the moment.

Consider this with a HD 4850, an OS, 22" monitor & speakers included in the price of £749 - Chillblast Fusion Hornet click here. Take the £15 PSU upgrade & the overclocked Q6600 for -£5. Total = £759

Though higher clocked dual-core CPUs are generally better for gaming (& would normally recommend an E8500 over a standard Q6600), in this instance I'd be inclined towards the latter's overclocked version in the above PC. G

P.S. cube 247 forum search click here.

rajchahal18 15:21 25 Aug 08

Sorry for the late reply. Wow thanks that system seems really good for what you get.

After some looking around I also found the Arbico 4850 (same ati graphics card) so I still need to decide.

Thanks for your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…