Compare Prices

Border View 20:19 19 Jun 09

Before anyone reads this thread I would like to make it perfectly clear that other than purchasing the USB cable that is the only connection I have with the supplier.

Right, I needed an extension USB cable for my 3 mobile broadband dongle. This would help in my connection to 3 mobile broadband.

Did a search and started with Currys. For a 2 metre USB2 extension they quoted £24.99.

Upon further surfing came across click here was a bit suprised that they quoted approx 92p for the same bit of equipment.

Yesterday at 13.00 hours ordered 2 metre extension from cable universe and paid including postage about £3 (0.92p for cable). Today at 9.30 a.m. the postman arrived with my order. Less than 24 hours.

Excellent service.

Question: How come Currys wanted about £22 more for the same thing.

I can wholeheartedly recommend click here

Its always worth a look at their site.

Barmoor

spuds 22:52 19 Jun 09

You can get similar cables from Ebuyer or most likely the local Pound shop. I would never buy any cables from the likes of DSG or similar high street stores, far to expensive.

Terry Brown 15:37 20 Jun 09

The answer is simple.

Companies like Cable Universe have limited overheads (no shopfront) and normally a large amount of cables are sold,enabling the cost to be kept low.

Currys, Maplins, PC World etc, have to pay for the shop, heating,lighting,staff and only sell a very view of each item, so the cost to you must be higher to cover these costs.
Terry

Border View 17:30 20 Jun 09

I agree with that Terry, but a mark up from 92p to £24.99 was just a bit too much to swallow. Just wondered what mark up percentage that equates too.

oresome 17:37 20 Jun 09

My daughter worked for a large elecrical store whilst studying at university.

The salespeople made more commission selling an upmarket lead or extended warranty than they did selling the TV etc where the commission was often next to nothing.

Approaching half the cost of an expensive lead could be made as commission by the saleperson selling it which gives an idea of the mark up involved.

Border View 00:38 21 Jun 09

Thanks for responding oresome.

Border View 00:39 21 Jun 09

Think I have made my point so will do a green tick.

Arnie 10:57 21 Jun 09

“Currys, Maplins, PC World etc, have to pay for the shop, heating,lighting,staff and only sell a very view of each item, so the cost to you must be higher to cover these costs.” Sic.

I regularly see cables, adapters, tv coaxial plugs and many other items sold at Poundland, Q&D, Lidl & Aldi at really low prices. Some of them branded items. Even Tesco and Asda seem to be fairly competitive here.
They all have to pay for your aforementioned overheads.

Also, have you looked at Screwfix’s prices in their TV & Electrical list?
I’ve saved a fortune with them since they opened a branch near me.

It’s all a matter of people’s naïvety, gullibility, or maybe they can’t be bothered to shop around.
My wife regularly avoids Tesco to find bargains at Farm Foods and Aldi.

Arnie.

Arnie 17:40 21 Jun 09

my apologies.
This should have been headed Terry Brown.

Arnie.

Border View 09:09 24 Jun 09

Know what you mean about Farm Foods. However we have stopped going to Aldis for food (we never went anywhere else for about five years) because their prices are definitely not as competitive as they used to be. In fact in about 90% of goods they are the same or very close to Morrisons (comparisons made at Berwick).

My 92p 2mtr USB extension came and I am using it as I type. Brilliant bit of kit.

Moral of the story - compare prices and shop around.

Barmoor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…