The Compaq Evo Notebook Range

kbca23 07:52 31 May 03

Has anybody any comments to make, either good or bad about The Compaq Evo Notebook N1015v . I notice it is being offered at a reasoanble price at Dabs at the moment. It is advertised as a small business computer, but what would prevent it from being effective as a home machine?
I'm comparing it with the Pavillion ZE4258.

Any commets would be much appreciated

Kevin

fitshase 19:49 31 May 03

Funnily enough I am sitting in the garden at the moment (catching the last of the sun) working on a Compaq Evo N1015v with my wireless network card plugged in.

It is a very good machine for the price and the fact that it has got Windows XP Pro installed on it is a bonus. The battery life is fantastic (especially when sitting in the garden!), the screen is nice and clear, and the whole machine is well built.

I have had no problems with the machine and I would recommend it to anyone.

By the way, the machine I have got is:-

Compaq Evo Notebook N1015v

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

256MB RAM

30GB HDD

DVD-ROM

10/100 LAN & 56k Modem

14.1" TFT

XP Pro

brilliant stuff.

Regards

Fitshase

ajm 00:39 01 Jun 03

I have the HP Pavilion ZE4140 at the moment. i have hd it for 1 month and i should say that it is a fntstic machine. i have just bought a new Sony Laptop with a DVD Writer and have put my HP up for Sale. The build quality is superb

Giggsy252 09:47 01 Jun 03

im also thinking about buying the same laptop, looks like a good price to me. im not sure whether to go for the CDRW model and slightly bigger hard drive for £781, or the non-CDRW model which is £675. The other specs are the same as mentioned by Fitshase.

I'm just wondering whys Dabs are selling so cheap, is it refurbished or brand new? or is it because its not a current model from the Compaq range?

Sorry im still a relative beginner

Thanks

kbca23 11:16 01 Jun 03

Thanks for the responses.

I'm a relative beginner too Giggsy. But. . .I've found out that according to the Technoworld site the N1015v is due to be replaced with the NX9005. Is that probably why the N1015 is being sold at a good price??

Mind you, the NX9005 is also advertised there at a similar price (2 versions avialable). So now I'm confused as to which to go for.

By the way are Technoworld reliable?

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

fitshase 12:39 01 Jun 03

The laptop is priced as such because it is not like a top of the range model:-

The screen is 14.1" TFT.

The graphics are dealt with on-board instead of through a dedicated card, i.e., it shares its memory with the computer's RAM.

The processor is not the fastest around but it is very capable (i.e., it is not a new Pentium 4 but performs admirably).

There is only 1 PCMCIA (PC Card) slot.

There is no Infrared port.

There is no Firewire ports or USB 2.0 (Hi Speed) ports.

A new expensive laptop would have all of the above as standard plus at least a 15" TFT screen. As Compaq have made this machine, you get very good build quality and support. However, as mentioned above, they have left out a lot of things which are now classed as "standard" on most laptops priced around £1,000 - £1,500.

It is because of this that they can sell the machine for a low price. I for one cannot complain because I have a desktop machine with Firewire for video editing, I do not have any USB2.0 devices and I would not use an Infrared port for anything. The screen size is more than enough (at a resolution of 1024 x 768) and 1 PCMCIA slot is enough for my wireless card. The graphics is no problem either because I do not play lots of games, etc., so do not need a high spec graphics card.

If you want a no nonsense machine for general web browsing, office work, etc., then the price is excellent for the spec. If, however, you want an all singing machine that can do video editing, manipulate large graphic files and can play high end games then this is not for you.

Regards

Fitshase

Piggy,Piggy 16:00 01 Jun 03

In future, it would be helpful, although you are a beginner to list what you want the machine for/to do so people can give you specific advice rather than general tips!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…