company claiming to be BT

dukeboxhero 15:03 18 Aug 07

last week i recieved a phone call claiming to be from BT asking if i could confirm my phone details, the person at the other side gave my name address and postcode and asked if this was correct, i told him it was he then asked me to confirm my bt account number witch i did,
this persons number came up on my number displey unit, it was a blackpool number ,not feeling to sure about the call i phoned it back and was told i was through to bt, this morning i awoke to a letter wellcoming me to euphony my new telephone service provider and that i had made a good choice by dropping BT, when i phoned the blackpool number back this morning and read the riot act with a few choice words i was told they would look into it, iv since phoned BT and canceled euphonys account and BT have promised to investigate this matter,so if you get a call from blackpool claiming to be BT beware

Kate B 17:14 18 Aug 07

Tell trading standards, too - go to the Blackpool office. That's very sharp practice. Ofcom would probably be interested to hear your story too.

dukeboxhero 17:23 18 Aug 07

taken your advise and e mailed Ofcon will let you know outcome

spuds 18:10 18 Aug 07

Keep on top of this, because it could land you with a legal contract 'by agreeing over the phone'. Doe's the letter that you have received, give a let-out or cooling off period?.

Keep records of dates , times etc of any communications between you and any other parties.
You have taken the correct steps by notifying BT and Ofcom. I would suggest that you contact Consumer Direct click here who will contact the necessary trading standards office, in the area covering Euphonys.

dukeboxhero 19:19 18 Aug 07

thanks for your advise spuds i have taken it onboard, there is a 14 day cool of period,but there is a quote in there letter that i find a bit rich (You and BT--if BT provide your telephone service they may contact you please advise us of any calls from BT which may be intrusive and misleading, pot kettle black comes to mind

grumpygramp 15:55 19 Aug 07

Comes down to the fact that you should never give out such details over the phone no matter who they say they are.Saying that though it is easy to be caught off guard at times .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5