compact digital cameras

gibfish26 17:00 25 Jun 08

hi all
i am looking to buy a new compact digital camera,
i am leaning towards the panosonic lumix TZ4/5 range,or
cannon A590-IS or A720-IS or IXUS80,maybe the FUJI F100FD.or if you could suggest better models than the ones i have listed,your thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated,also could anyone recomend any good sites to purchase from in the u.s.a.or here in the u.k.many thanks

gibfish26.

chub_tor 17:16 25 Jun 08

Bought the 8Mp version of this camera click here while on a visit to the States from Circuit City for $149. Large display (very necessary with my eyesight) and easy to operate.

john bunyan 17:23 25 Jun 08

I am happy with a recently bought Panasonic Lumix FX35. Very thin and good wide angle.You can get quotes on line and some shops like London Camera Exchange will nearly match them. Suggest you get a spare battery and a 2Gig SD card.

the hick 18:14 25 Jun 08

I like Canon, I have 3-yr-old A-520, has manual control options, viewfinder, uses AA batteries, has good grip and handles well. The A-720 is latest version of this one, looks good for the price. Little chunkier than the others though.

^wave^ 19:00 25 Jun 08

very happy with canon a640 daughter has ixus 75 and son the 70 all very pleased with them try checking dpreview and steves dicams sites both do really good reviews

GRIDD 09:59 26 Jun 08

A70IS has given me trouble free snapping (my only camera) for almost a year now.

gibfish26 13:21 26 Jun 08

hi all thanks for your responses,just a small query if i was to purchase from u.s.a would i have to pay any import duties/vat etc.cheers.
gibfish26.

chub_tor 17:20 26 Jun 08

I can't help if you buy over the internet and have them ship it to a UK address as I've never done it, my guess is that both VAT and duty could be applied if it is picked up and examined by what is now HM Revenue and Customs.

As for purchasing in the USA while visiting you will pay Sales Tax if you walk in a store to buy (8.5% in Texas) but not if you buy over the internet and have it shipped to an address in the USA. If the total value of your goods when you come back into the UK is more that £150? or thereabouts you should in theory go through the Red Channel.

gibfish26 18:02 26 Jun 08

hi,
having done a bit of browsing i am now fancying the pano lumix TZ5,or the fuji F100FD,just trying to find them at the right price,very well priced in u.s.a but would be wiped out if had to pay uk vat and duties so not much point,anyway thanks again.
gibfish26

shellship 18:24 26 Jun 08

A point to note. Most compacts do not have an optical viewfinder as well as LCD - exceptions are Canon Ixus and some Sonys. In bright sunlight it is often hard to see anything in the LCD except your own reflection. I've just bought a Canon Ixus for that very reason.

gibfish26 18:50 26 Jun 08

hi shellship
your right and to be honest i would prefer a optical viewfinder,my present olympus mju 410 has one,i just thought that with the larger lcd screen it would be better what model IXUS did you buy and are you pleased with it.thanks
gibfish26.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…