Comet problem

superhoops 16:53 03 Aug 10

Hi
Just thought I would recount what happened with Comet so the same doesnt happen to you.

I wanted a Samsung N220 netbook and the last one that Comet had was the display model. I negotiated a reasonable price for it and was happy. I found quite soon though that I didnt like the small screen and decided to sell it. I reset the machine to the initial factory settings but when the machine rebooted it came up with "Username Comet" and "Password ......??????".

All's well that ends well I suppose as I rang Comet head office (at my expense) and got put through to the branch I bought it from. They told me the password which worked.

However, I cannot understand the mentality in setting a password on a machine and THEN making the initial backup. They sell off all display models so if this is common practice I wont be the only one unable to restore their machine. When I sell this machine this week I will have to pass on the username and password and hope they dont lose it or they wont be able to restore to initial settings.

Jameslayer 17:40 03 Aug 10

Pobely their idea of security nick it from ship and cant use it.

daytimers82 17:58 03 Aug 10

bad practice on unless you tell the new owner the password and username.

spuds 18:04 03 Aug 10

Its okay talking about "negotiating a reasonable price", but consider that the manufacturer may void any warranties, because a display model might be considered as a 'second-user or second-hand' machine. In this case, Comet was the first user, or owner in a manufacturer's eyes.

superhoops 18:09 03 Aug 10

I said to the girl at the branch on the phone that they should do their security on it AFTER the initial backup is made but she didnt seem to understand!
daytimers82 I will tell the new owner the username and password.
spuds I have a dated receipt from the day I bought it, as far as I know the years warranty starts from the date on the receipt.

qbie 19:27 03 Aug 10

Actually this one isn't really Comets fault - Samsungs "Recovery Solution 4" doesn't create it's factory default image until *AFTER* the unit has been switched on and booted into windows for the first time.

It's a very silly and stupid method - working for PCW I've had to restore display model Samsungs on numerous occasions. What I tend to do is do the restore to what the recovery software calls "computer Initial Status", and then create a new user with no password, delete the "demo" user which has a store password on, then create a new recovery point with an incredibly obvious name such as "**USE THIS** Ex-Display Restore Point" or some such thing, however this does have the disadvantage of using up a couple of extra gig on the D: drive as it's not possible to overwrite the original recovery point.

Why they have done this and not done what every other manufacturer does and create the restore partition at the factory I really have no idea. Now, ideally Comet would have restored the machine for you and done what I usually do, however of course this would depend on the in-store technical staff being intelligent enough and know about this - certainly where I work any ex-display unit is restored for the customer rather than letting them fend for themselves.

And yes the warranty will not be affected - I've never known any manufacturer to refuse to repair a machine simply because it is ex-display.

q

superhoops 20:28 03 Aug 10

Thanks for your response. What I dont understand though is why did Comet set a windows password at all? I know they set a passworded screensaver to stop kids mucking around but why a windows password.

qbie 22:37 03 Aug 10

If there is a windows password already on the machine it prevents someone else from setting one - you need to already know it to change it/remove it.

Theres nothing more annoying in a store than someone coming up to a display machine that doesn't have the screensaver/demo running as a member of staff has just demo'd the unit to someone, and putting a password on it - the next day when you turn it on you can't get into windows and have to remove the password via some 3rd party tool or restore the machine.

One of the many annoyances of PC retail!

spuds 22:47 03 Aug 10

For your information, I had a Medion monitor purchased from Staples. Medion accepted the warranty registration, then cancelled it 2 days later, because Staples had used the monitor 'as a display model', and as such Medion classed the monitor as 'second-user or second-hand'. Long story, but Staples agreed to honour the warranty, by promising a replacement from their stock, if the Medion I purchased went wrong.

wiz-king 12:24 04 Aug 10

Having seen the state of most things in my local Comets I would never accept a display model!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…