Colour Laser Printers

Kev B 11:28 13 Jan 07

I've been waiting for the March issue and it arrived this morning. I was a bit disappointed to see that the colour laser printer chart remains the same as last month.

I was seriously considering the Best Buy, Epson Aculaser C1100, but after visiting PC World found out that their web price (Which is actually cheaper than the mag says at £199.97 inc VAT) is only available if ordered on the web and collected at a store. Great, thinks I. Went home to order and looked for a store and discovered that despite being listed at this price, their store finder shows that no stores have any available in stock. None!

Has anyone bought this or a different colour laser printer in the past couple of months? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Dizzy Bob 13:21 13 Jan 07

Kev B, anything prices ending in a 7 at PCW indicates that it is a clearance / discontinued line. That probably why there are none available.

The price is dropped to clear remaining products in store (which i guess is why it was cheaper than the magazine reported price.

You could ask your local store if there is another branch that it could transfer the stock in from, or see if it is available to order through the business centre in store.

Hope this helps,

DB

wiz-king 16:23 13 Jan 07

I have just got a HP 2605 from Misco. Works well but it was a pain to install. I hate USB printers! Got it to go eventually, but I haven't used it enough to be able to comment on cartridge life or running cost yet. It is good at holding the desk down, something inside is definitely metal not plastic!

Kev B 17:17 13 Jan 07

Thanks DB. The infuriating thing is that as a Business Customer at PCWorld I can access their business site and the printer is listed there as available, in stock and priced at £255.52! I have contacted them and await a reply.

Dizzy Bob 09:06 14 Jan 07

Where abouts in the country are you. I will check local PCW stores for you, but i am not in work until Monday morning.

DB

Kev B 23:19 15 Jan 07

Thanks Bob, I'm in North Wales.

Dizzy Bob 00:13 16 Jan 07

Back at work tomorrow morning, will post back then

DB

Dizzy Bob 19:22 16 Jan 07

Sorry for the delay,

Couldn't get on to PCA today from work???

Very few around in store, Merry Hill, Newport Kidderminster, is about it anywhere near you. All of the stores are only showing 1 in stock (which is probably the display unit)

That in itself shouldn't be a huge issue, as laser printers are generally not loaded with the toners when put on display (due to the costs) and will therefore be unused, but you may feel that if it has been on display it is not right for you.

You might wish to ask your local store if they could transfer one in from the list above, but check that it is complete (unlikely to be boxed).
Hope this helps, sorry not to have been able to track down a boxed unit!

Best,

DB

Kev B 20:32 23 Jan 07

Thanks DB that confirms what I thought. PC World are advertising a sale item that they can't supply and the magazine have it in the top spot after several months despite it being a clearance item. Time someone updated their info!

PaulB2005 20:53 23 Jan 07
  Kev B 17:05 14 Feb 07

Glad I waited. This months mag arrived with a new Colour Laser in the top spot. The Konica Milnolta Magicolour 2500W for £180 inc VAT from DABS. Dabs didn't have any in stock, so I looked around and settled on Printerland at £178 inc vat with no delivery charge. Ordered Tuesday and it arrived Wednesday.

Set up was a breeze and the output is astonishingly good. I expected relatively poor performance printing a photograph on standard laser paper, but it fantastic. Almost as good as inkjet on photo glossy paper and the speed is phenomenal. About 15 seconds for an A4 full colour. So far, I can heartily recommend this printer. Now to get my hands on some business card, glossy, transparency and top quality laser paper to try out all its capabilites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…