coincidence/ id fraud

a very strange one and please excuse if i dont reply tonight as i am going to bed!
i have a not too common surname and my name is adam. about a month ago i recieved a letter to mr andrew (mysurname) i opened it thinking it was a typing mistake, it was a fine due to me not taxing or VORing a j reg sierra? i had a j reg sierra many years ago with a similar reg plate (last 2 letters different) now this is confusing the hell out me.
the letters continued getting a tad redder each time, i returned them all with 'not at this address' written on the back. a week ago the phone calls started "can i speak to mr (mysurname" each time i explain my full name tell them about the sierra i used to have, which i writ off and told the dvla this. and they appologise. i now get one phone call a day and they keep telling me the case is closed and i wont be bothered again, but the calls continue.
this is the scary part: i got home today and i have 5 recorded messages on my landline and 5 recorded messages on my personnal mobile they are a computerised voice which says "we need to speak urgently to andrew (mysurname) please call us urgently" thats it! no number, no details nothing else.
i dont scare too easily but shall be locking my door tonight, what the hell is this? im in the phone book, i threw away the original letter i opened, and when they spoke to me on the phone they wouldnt actually tell me where they were from.
anyone had a similar experience? i feel like im going insame!
thanks adam

spuds 22:45 17 Jul 07

Check your phone bill asap. There is a scam that when you answer the call you are locked onto a service, which is at premium line rate. I am not saying this is happening to you, and I would doubt it, but I would make a check just in case. Failing that, report these nuisance calls to your telephone service provider, they may assist by putting a trace on the line

Have you checked with the DVLA since these calls have occurred!.

Forum Editor 00:23 18 Jul 07

as if you are being contacted by a debt collection agency.

It's no good returning letters with 'not at this address' messages - debt collectors get those all the time. The problem you have now is that you can't contact the company to explain what's going on because you have no contact details. Presumably you have tried dialing 1471 to get the number that calls you?

Unless you take some action you are likely to continue to be plagued in this way, and I suggest that if the calls continue you contact BT and explain. They have special procedures for dealing with nuisance callers, but they'll only take action if you can convince them that you have a genuine problem.

Babou 00:23 18 Jul 07

Check with the police as well - sounds like a fraud attempt, with added bullying.

spuds 11:37 18 Jul 07

Babou

The police will do very little about it unless there are serious threats of violence. If that is the case, they will then work with the service provider in tracing the calls, which made lead to further investigations and possible actions.At present the situation is classed as Nuisance Calls, in regard to the telephone calls.

adman 2

If it is a debt collecting agency trying to contact you, then the letters you have received should have by law, all the necessary contact details. If the DVLA, Council or a court is using a debt recovery agency, then they will use boni-fide companies only. Normally these type of letters contain a telephone number and an office contact who would be able to provide further details. If the telephone calls are made 'out of hours' then you would have a legitimate claim to make further complaints. Debt collection agency have certain rules and regulations that they must comply with. The days of vans with Debt Collection on the side, or visits by big intimidating men at 2am in the morning have long past.

erkmatrix 14:10 18 Jul 07

Maybe also try citizens advice as to the best procedure, sounds dodgy to me, i would naturally think about the police but yeah as spuds say maybe they wouldn't do anything until serious threats were made.

bjh 14:45 18 Jul 07

I think it might just be a good idea to let the police know, even if they do nothing. I am just thinking that, if this is the beginning of a potentially long-running identity fraud problem (and let's hope it isn't), contacting the police might give you some later "proof" that there might be mitigating circumstances in your 12 speeding points, your debt for a 42" plasma screen, the new BMW you ordered, the unpaid hotel bill........

hi guys and thanks so much for all the advice, when i got in a letter was pushed under my door i opened it and called the number, the dvla have given them the wrong details hence nearly my name and nearly the reg of my old cossie.
im far from happy because i cleared a load of years old debts 2 years ago when i cleaned my act up, and now the flats going to be blacklisted through no fault of my own.
what really annoys me is that the dvla have given my ex directory phone number to a debt collection agency and also my personnal mobile number. i have just emailed the dvla and am waiting for my solicitor to call me back.
annoying, but just part of life!
thanks again
adam

and now somebody else has just phoned wanting to speak with andrew! a totally different company, when i questioned him he said "i needed to speak with andrew to discuss some personnal business" and would give no further details.
over the past 6 months i have had random pieces of mail never arrive, namely the only 2 companies who know i live here, a payslip and a phonebill. i find all this quite concerning!

hmm, and now another call appolgising for the previous call it was the same company,they called me before my file was updated. so it seems it's a dvla cock up after all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…