Cleaning Epsom Print Head Nozzles

mbp 10:34 13 May 04

As Epsom Print Head Nozzles are built into the machine, is there a say of cleaning these nozzles safely without having to take the machine apart? Some 3rd party refill ink suppliers provide a "Flush" liquid with their kit. What successes have you had?

Wilham 12:07 13 May 04

A source of info on this would be back copies of Consumer Which? about 12 to 18 months ago.

From memory Which? said the Epsom head could not be cleared once it had dried out.

Epson in defence maintained their heads did not dry out because the cartridge had 30 per cent ink remaining at the time the low ink warning appeared.

Click on Control panel,click on printers and fax,right click on epsom printer and select properties.Click on Printing Preferences, and select Utilities.Switch on your printer and the click on head cleaning.

krypt1c 19:37 13 May 04

Have a look here for info on the free SSC Service Utility for printers click here

Nick9000 19:39 13 May 04

I have found the nozzles can get clogged and impossible to clear. I have an Epson 740 and have been using Printrite cartridges. I have stopped using it now and may get rid of it as I have been unable to clear the clogged heads after trying may times. I don't know if using alternative inks can contribute.

All Epsom printers come with software utilities which enable you to clean and realign nozzles and test the printout.If you use them regularly then you will have no trouble.My Epsom 460 is now approaching 5 years old, has only been used with compatible inks, and still performs as new.Similarly, my Photo 915 is giving no trouble. Like all things, if you look after them, then they will reward you with years of trouble free use.If you continue to use them when the ink low warning comes up, then expect trouble.

mbp 21:45 13 May 04

SSC Service Utility, krypt1c, have you used this software? does it have more functions than the usual Epson Printer Utilities? I have been to the SSC forums and was fascinated with some of the threads.

Electron99, I am encouraged to see that you have mostly used compatible inks without problems. The propriety brands are so expensive, especially if I am only printing out manuals and not top class photos. I do a few photos from time to time. As compatibles are so much more economical, I suppose that more regular nozzle cleaning is just part of the routine. Thanks for you very reassuring remarks.

krypt1c 22:30 13 May 04

mbp
Yes I use it. It has a lot of options, but the most useful one for you would be the option to clean just the black heads, or just the colour heads

ensonricky 23:23 13 May 04

I can also recommend this utility. The freeze function is also very useful.

mbp 09:54 14 May 04

ensonricky: Please tell me what is "freeze function"? I thought that it only applied to Russia.

ensonricky 11:33 14 May 04

Mainly used in Siberia the freeze function suspends the monitoring of ink usage, very useful when doing high quality work which is heavy on the ink usage. Avoids Epson's own monitoring system from telling tou your inks run out when you've got quarter of a tank left. Wrap up warm!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…