Cheapish camera needed

birdface 18:46 27 Jun 10

Can anyone on here have a look through the Argos pages and pick me out a reasonable camera for about £80 a bit less or a bit more.
The last camera I had was an old brownie.
I have not got a clue as to what to expect from cameras today but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be obliged.
And not necessarily from Argos that is just where I have been looking.

click here

birdface 18:51 27 Jun 10

not sure if the first click here will open for you as it will not open for me.So lets try again.

click here

You will probably have to click on to cameras sorry for the bad start.

chub_tor 19:34 27 Jun 10

I would just make a couple of observations -

Forget the number of pixels, anything over 3Mp will allow you to print a 6 x 4 that is indistinguishable from an old brownie - you can even get to 10 x 8 with little degradation.

Go for the best Optical Zoom you can get, digital zoom is meaningless and only leads to lower resolution as it just cuts down on the area that is being zoomed into.

Look for a good brand of lens, glass if you can get it and if it is specified.

An optical viewfinder is excellent if you can find one as LCD's get washed out in bright light. And if your eyesight is as poor as mine get the biggest LCD viewfinder you can afford (but not at the expense of a good lens).

For £80-100 you can get a really good camera nowadays as an example take a look at this Nikon on Amazon click here

ICF 20:03 27 Jun 10

Could be to expensive for you click here

birdface 20:07 27 Jun 10

Many thanks for that.
Just going back to my old home town and thought that I should maybe take a few photos while there.
That looks good and will probably go for that one.
I don't need anything fancy as I probably would not know how to use it.
Anything else comes to mind let me know.
If not I will probably order that one tomorrow.

birdface 20:15 27 Jun 10

I hear Dixons are making a comeback.
Nice little camera Price would be my top limit.
But not sure if I need it or not.
Just looking for something simple but it may be better value in the long run. Thanks.

realist 20:40 27 Jun 10

Argos clearance site:
click here

rdave13 21:17 27 Jun 10

Not a good photographer and I suppose never will be. Bought this Samsung and it takes very reasonable photos.click here
Battery lasts for ever and as it's a 10 MP camera. The digital zoom is ok as the photos are well over 3 MP after using the zoom.

birdface 22:03 27 Jun 10

Had a look through Argos but to tell the truth not got much of a clue as to what I am looking for.
I have an Argos clearing warehouse just down the road from me so may have a look in there to see what they have.

Thanks rdave13 the battery lasts forever appeals to me.
And a nice looking camera.
terrible I have not bought a camera for over 55 years and really not got much of a clue as what to get,
I will just go for one of them and because i am from notb it may be the cheapest one.
nope will have a good look at them all tomorrow and try and decide which one.

rdave13 22:23 27 Jun 10

Forgot to also say that the video taken by this camera is also very good but you'll need to buy an SD-HC card for it. An additional cost but worth it. I bought a SD-HC card with 16 GB. More than enough for vids and highest quality photos.
One thing to remember is that when you shoot videos then you will lose audio if you zoom. Once it has zoomed then audio is restored.

spuds 23:24 27 Jun 10

Be a little careful about Argos clearance houses, because some of them have no direct ownership connection to Argos, and are just independent clearance companies, possibly purchasing in bulk or end of lines from Argos.

Argos do have their own Clearance centre which is located in the Daventry area. They also have an eBay presence, which I have used on three occasions. You can save money, and the items are fully guaranteed unless stated otherwise. But you can buy cheaper elsewhere.

I bought a Praktica camera recently. Good little camera, but heavy on battery use. Praktica's help and support was very good when I had to contact them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…