Cheapest digital camera

holligan 21:30 21 Sep 03

Would a cheap one be better then a normal camera.And whitch one do you recomend.also do they fit any comp.cheers

Tim1964 22:51 21 Sep 03

As with most things in life..'you gets what you pays for', that said some will always go nuts and by the latest/greatest.

Do you want the camera for web use only? i.e. around 1Mpixel or for prints 2-3Mp

The min spec for most cameras is win98SE and enough HD space to store your pics.

Even a 5Mpixel camera will not match a 'normal' camera for resolution although it's down to the better the lens to make a difference.

Have you tried searching for "digital camera reviews" (including the"") to see what's thrown up?

wags 23:12 21 Sep 03

I agree with everything Tim1964 says. Check out reviews such as click here and/or search on Google for other review sites. If you intend printing up to A4 size I would suggest 3-4 mp as being sensible, if only for say 6X4, a 2mp will be ample.

I use digital cameras for work and have bought 4 cameras so far.I always stick with the well known quality brands eg Canon, Olympus, Fuji..etc. Set you budget and then buy the best you can afford, based upon reviews and by you personally handling various short listed models at say, Jessops. Some cameras are very small and can be subject to camera shake and for this reason, I prefer a not too compact model. Ideally go for at least 3x optical zoom and don't bother with digital zoom. Good luck.

spuds 23:38 21 Sep 03

Try Jessop's. They have a very good range of digital camera's. The staff are usually first rate and knowledgable, and should be able to lead you to something suitable to your needs.You can see and purchase, both on-line or from their many stores.

March Hare 00:40 22 Sep 03

Also, Jessops will usually do a price match to equal the lowest price you can find for mail order on the net, provided you produce a print-out.

They reduced the price of my digital camera from £200 to £163 with no quibble. Same with memory cards.

Coaster3 21:50 23 Sep 03

The average person never prints anything bigger than 6"x4" and, that being so, the 3 mp digital is a match for practically any 35mm camera on the market.

I own both a Nikon F4 and a Kodak DX6340. I virtually never use the Nikon nowadays.

Incidentally, for many years I ran a photographic business so I do know what I am talking about.

Tim1964 22:11 23 Sep 03

Isn't 7" X 5" the more popular size ?

I am also looking into getting a digital camera (3x optical, 3x digital at 3 Mp) but the added/hidden costs seems to be the memory cards and the printing, although when I eventually get a digital camera (Christmas list)I will probably get the pics done at my local Tescos.

I suppose there will always be a market for disposables......

Giantsquid 22:17 23 Sep 03

I know this will not help holligan because of the prices but maybe I'm a Luddite I don't know, but I cannot get used to the shape of most digital cameras.
For all they hype about how sleek this is and this camera will fit in your shirt pocket etc etc it's not for me, I have a couple of digital cameras, one is a Fuji 2400 the other a Olympus c150 and I know which one I prefer, the one that looks and feels like a good old SLR, something that 'feels' right.
I feel with the technical advancement currently being made with digital that the good old style will soon be back with us, don't get me wrong small camera's have their uses for a lot of people but give me something to get hold of.

I like this one !click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…