Cheapest computer for gaming?

andrewF2007 19:11 04 Feb 07

where can i but the cheapest computer that is reasonably ok for playing average games?
thanks for any help

Totally-braindead 19:12 04 Feb 07

How cheap is cheap? What sort of games? The latest ones or ones perhaps a few years old?

andrewF2007 19:14 04 Feb 07

for example games like age of empires 3, thanks!

Totally-braindead 19:23 04 Feb 07

Minimum System Requirements for Age of Empires III
Microsoft® Windows® XP
PC with 1.4 Ghz equivalent or higher processor that supports SSE
256 MB of system RAM
2.0 GB available hard disk space
32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
64 MB video card with HT&L
Sound card with speakers or headphones
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
DirectX 9.0c or above

and bearing in mind the game developers can be a bit overzealous with what they say it will run on I would suggest a minimum 2.5 ghz, 512mb RAM.
Something like this perhaps click here would suggest a cheap PCI Express graphics card as well rather than using the onboard graphics as I'm unsure if the onboard has HT&L ability. Have to add a monitor to it, for £50 more you get one with a faster processor and a hard drive twice the size.
Want a real cheap one then second hand refurbished available from click here and click here but the warranty may be only for something like 30 days.

andrewF2007 19:26 04 Feb 07

thanks alot !

Slithe 20:35 04 Feb 07

Agree with totally-braindead...

For Age of Empires III - the minimum specs are ridiculous, the game would crawl if not run at all on those given... I've got the game, and ended up spending a small fortune on upgrades (bearing in mind the PC was only eight months old when I bought AOE III!!)

RAM should be at least 1GB, and the Graphics Card should be a dedicate card with at least 128MB Video Memory.

Hope that helps...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now