cheap printing

rupie 23:08 23 Apr 04

I went to my local tip the other day to get rid of some stuff. There is a charity recycling place there and I have never had a look before but i did and found an old HP4 Lazerjet. The man from the charity wanted £5 for it. Got it home and it works a treat. Only black and white but my ink costs have almost gone. If A new toner costs alot or it breaks then I throw it away !The wife said I was mad but it was a bargin. The man at the tip said he tried to sell it but no one wanted it !!! (I won't get into the whole inkjet diss. but I found that with old tech. if it aint broke dont fix it)

spuds 23:36 23 Apr 04

Like a number of these older type printers and computer systems, when they have served their purpose,they usually end up on a tip, unless some form of local recycling is available with free access.

rupie--hope it gives a few more years service, as the HP4 is still servicable, with parts available, including cheap cartridges.

ch0pper 00:11 24 Apr 04

I still run a Laserjet 4L which I won in a PC World prize draw in 1994 alongisde a Laserjet 4M which my employers were ditching in 1996.

Admittedly, a new toner cartridge costs around £40 but I've only needed to buy two in all the time I've had the machines.

They both work perfectly well even though they're not the fastest printers out there.

I'm waiting until the cost of colour laser printers drops so I can replace the llaserjets and the inkjet printer I currebtly run.

pj123 15:27 25 Apr 04

Yes, it's a shame really because I have lots of stuff that I would love to give to my local charity shops for resale, but due to Health & Safety Regs they can't take it unless it has a current SAT certificate. I have 3 very old computers in my garage (all working) plus a DVD player, an internet surf set and a couple of monitors but the charity shops can't take them so they go to the tip. My partner works for a charity shop and often gets called out to collect stuff from people who no longer want it. It's difficult to tell them, when we get there, that we can't take some of the stuff they are dontating so it ends up in our garage and we pay to take it to the tip. The charity you bought from has obviously got someone to do the safety test for them.

StephenRogers 09:33 28 Apr 04

Hi
Here's a voluntary non-profit making organisation who will come and collect unwanted computer equipment:

click here

cheers

Aspman 15:57 29 Apr 04

You lucky begger. I wish I could pick up a Laserjet 4 for £5. I have one behind me at work. It must be over 10 years old runs perfectly well and costs next to nothing to run.

herman1rg 12:27 30 Apr 04

Nice call getting that laserjet for £5, However I have a cheaper way of printing I do all mine at work on the networked printers totally free.

only me 14:10 30 Apr 04

Hi as i have now got XP i have got a epson inkjet and a scanner which cant be loaded on to XP i have bought ones which can seen by XP i have got on to organisation recommended by Stephen Rogers lets see what happens?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…