cheap phone calls

oseven 19:23 17 Apr 07

My brother is with BT and gets free UK phone calls using click here.
He just pays 5p connection charge per call.
I am with Virgin Media (NTL) who tell me that the 0808 number I would have to dial to use this service is a premium rate number that they would charge me 6p to connect to then their usual per minute rate. Anyone, with a cable company, with experience of using this type of service please advise.

Tim1964 19:42 17 Apr 07

Or with Sky the eve/weekend calls are completely free (as long as each call is less than an hour)

oseven 19:47 17 Apr 07

I should perhaps of stated that I have a broadband /phone package with Vigin and that most of my call are during the day.Not evenings and weekends.

Stuartli 23:15 17 Apr 07

TalkTalk3 International provides free AnyTime UK calls to all local, 01 and 02 numbers, plus free AnyTime calls to 30 international countries; up to 8MB broadband and the inclusion of your £11 BT line rental for just £20.99 a month.

After some initial problems with TT (I joined right at the start of the free broadband offer a year ago) the service has been excellent, phone calls billing (i.e. for 0870 and similar type numbers) has been spot on and the one occasion I've used the customer support brought a swift result (I checked whether my recent "up to 8MB" service upgrade was the BT or TT's own LLU system; it's the latter).

See:

click here

Stuartli 23:17 17 Apr 07

Sorry, just realised you wanted a cable version.

It would seem you have the only one available in your area, but you can check using:

click here

and doing an exchange search for the relevant details.

blazon 82 08:52 19 Apr 07

I have had a letter from Virgin, saying that the price of the Size: XL phone package ( Talk Unlimited ) is being reduced to £9.95 from First of May.
I wondered if one of their phone packages might suit you. Suggest you have a look at the website

click here - This VoIP program allows you to use a 'direct call' feature where you enter your own telephone number and then the number of the person you want to call where there is a 0.05€ connection fee then the rest of the call is free.

This is subject to you topping up with 10€ (about £7) every 3 months.

pj123 18:09 19 Apr 07

I am now with Virgin (ex NTL)

I am on the NTL Talk Unlimited £25 per month. Free calls to any UK 01 and 02 numbers. All other numbers except 0800, 0808 and 08000 have to be paid.

As far as I know 0800, 0808 and 08000 numbers are freephone numbers. The company/person who owns the number pays for the call.

None of them have appeared on my phone bill from Virgin.

pj123 18:20 19 Apr 07

0845 (Lo-Call) numbers on Virgin are charged at
Daytime 5p, Evening 4p and Weekends 3p

0870 (National) numbers are 10p, 8p and 6p for Daytime, Evening and Weekends.

oseven 19:13 19 Apr 07

Thanks for all your responses but my original question is still unaswered.I have broadband and phone/tv service with Virgin Media at £30.50 per month.All my calls are at 4p per minute plus 6p connetion fee.If my phone was with BT I could make all UK calls for nothing with click here
I would pay only 4p for the connection charge after first dialing 18866 then the number I require.BT would charge me nothing for the call.
With Virgin (because it is a cable company ) I would need to dial an 0808 number ,pay 5p connection then 1p per minute with this company calling itself 18866.Virgin say 0808 numbers are not freephone and they would chage me their usual 6p connection plus 4p per minute .Obviously not a good deal.What I am trying to establish is whether Virgin are just trying to scare me off using this other company.Thats why I asked if anyone else tied to a cable company has used this type of service and whether they are being charged twice?

Stuartli 19:31 19 Apr 07

0800, 0808 and 0500 are freephone numbers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac